Battery Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nar1117, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Im having some trouble with my battery. I have a 15" MBP 2.16/2gig/Core Duo for just about a year, and for the last few months I have seen my battery's health deteriorate pretty fast.

I compared it with the two other MBP batteries in my family:

Mine: 23% Health / 82 cycles
    #2: 94% health / 62 cycles.
    #3: 87% Health / 167 cycles

Obviously there is something wrong here, but im not sure if its a problem with the computer or the battery. I usually have the computer plugged in, and when I dont, im not doing any battery-intensive operations - just web surfing and listening to music. I can only get just over an hour of usage out of my battery when it is not plugged in.

I called Applecare and they had me take the battery out and unplug the computer, then hold the power button for 6 seconds. Im not sure what it was supposed to do, but it didn't help. The battery is not one of the batteries that is up for recall, so i cant return it. They suggested that I take it to an apple store and have them do diagnostics on it.

Any ideas before I visit the store?

Thanks in advance.

2. gameguy3001 macrumors member

The reset they had you try reset the SMC (system management controller).
    With those batteries, what is the Full Charge Capacity on them? If its below a certain amount, you should be able to get the replaced.