Battery Woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsliz89, Mar 29, 2009.

1. itsliz89 macrumors member

I've had my 17" mbp for 25 months now. It is a 2.33 ghz intel core 2 duo. I've been using the same battery that it came with. According to coconut battery, the life of my battery is at 84% and used ~ 720 cycles (can't remember exactly, I removed the battery).

The battery can only go on for about 30 minutes until my MBP shuts down, even though it says that there is about 1 hour 20 minutes remaining.

I also can't use my trackpad anymore. I realized that the battery is starting to swell.

This didn't happen gradually, it feels like it happened almost overnight, even though I have done nothing to my MBP. All of a sudden my computer shuts down instead of sleeping and I can't use the clicker on my trackpad.

I guess I need to replace my battery obviously. I'm wondering what's the difference between those $70 batteries and the Apple one that is sold for $130.

Also, I wonder if the Apple store will replace my battery for free. Of course I'd like to avoid $130 if I can. I'm out of warranty and don't have Apple Care. I mean, a swelling battery where the metal is dented sounds like a defective item to me. I've had pretty good experience with Apple in the past with them replacing my charging cord and replacing keys on my keyboard when they popped out, all out of warranty. I will try anyway, doesn't hurt to try, but I was wondering what your opinion is.

Thanks

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If your battery is swelling STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY. Your battery may qualify for replacement under a special replacement program. Details here: http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

If you don't qualify you might want to take your computer and battery to the Apple Store anyway. They may replace it anyway. Worth a shot if you have the time. Otherwise dispose of the battery (Best Buy has free battery disposal, as do many fire stations) and buy a new one. There is no difference between the Apple OEM and 3rd party. Go with the least expensive.

3. itsliz89 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, so I finally went to the Apple store. They replaced it for free. Before going, I found this page: http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/21/swollen-batteries-affecting-17-inch-macbook-pros-too/ where a large group of people commented about their swollen batteries as well and I read that many got theirs replaced no problem, even if they were out of warranty. So, I was confident that they'd replace mine as well but the genius said that since my MBP was out of warranty, I'd have to purchase a battery. I think he saw the fire in my eyes and I was ready to get my rhetoric on since so many other people had no problems with it. He went to get confirmation and said that they'd replace my battery. He said something about the battery having to be a max of 2 years old (mine was 25 months old).
    That's something that wasn't mentioned on that battery replacement page on the apple site though so if they hadn't given me a free battery, I would have brought it up.

Anyway, so has the problem been fixed with these new batteries or should I expect my battery to get knocked up again?

4. itsliz89 thread starter macrumors member

Also, can someone please inform me on how the battery cycles work?

Let's say I have fully charged my battery(100% left), then I unplug the charge and use a little of it (80% left). Then I recharge the battery, would that count as another cycle? If so, then would it be best if I use up almost the whole battery before recharging again (10% left)?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As they should have- batteries have been a focal point for consumer criticism, especially since those exploding Dell batteries a couple years back. No company wants that kind of publicity.

720 cycles is a lot though, I'm not surprised the capacity was way down. If it wasn't for the swelling I don't think you would have gotten a new one.

battery cycles.