Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveing64, Apr 2, 2015.

1. steveing64 macrumors 6502

Have got my new 13mbp its used in the office and on the road just wondering what is the best way to keep the battery healthy

If i know i will not be out and about for a few days i run it off the battery till its about flat then charge it but somebody has said the best way is to keep it plugged into the charger all the time any advice (it is charged of the lead from a apple LED cinema display) :)

2. Phyco126 macrumors member

Wife plugs it in until charged, then keeps it off until it's 10% or less. She has a 2012 MacBook Air and when it's off it seems to keep it's charge for a bit (longer than my 2013 windows laptop... 1 hour FTW). Occasionally she will leave it plugged in for a few days at a time, mostly due to it just sitting on her desk (she doesn't notice it is still plugged in sometimes when it's there).

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

My advice is

Quit worrying about it....

Use it as and how you wish it will make no real difference in the long run. Apple batteries last between 3 and 5 years able to retain over 80% of battery capacity. Pretty much nothing you can do will change this it will die of old age eventually that is the nature of batteries.

There is little point in spending that sort of money on a laptop for use away from a wall socket to worry about plugging it in, when to charge etc etc. If when it eventually dies you want to keep the laptop get apple to replace it it isn't that expensive.

4. steveing64 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the battery last a few years my old macbook pro 15 which was late 2008 battery only just gone in the last few months will no longer hold charge :apple:

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

7 years thats awesome....

What I am saying is nothing you do will make them last any longer.

Have a good read of this it is about as comprehensive description of Apple batteries current advice as you can get. (Pretty much what I said above, don't worry about it.)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree. Plug it in when you can, use it while it's unplugged when you want to. It doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in all the time as long as you complete a charge cycle each month.

My mid 2009 13" MBP is still on its original battery with nearly 1200 cycles and just recently the "service battery" warning came on. My parents have an original Macbook with 1500 charge cycles on its original battery. It only lasts about 1 1/2 on a charge, but it's also an 8 or 9 year old computer.

7. millerro, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

millerro macrumors newbie

The only thing you should remember is that battery needs to go through the whole recharging process once in a while, so no need to do that every day.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your wife is simply putting needless cycles on her battery.

Plug it in whenever you can, use it on battery whenever you like. Just like you would with a cell phone.

9. GGJstudios, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    There is no need to unplug once fully charged, unless you're working where AC power isn't available. Once it's fully charged, it stops charging and runs on AC power while it's plugged in. It cannot overcharge.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just using the computer on battery day to day should do the trick. You don't have to run the battery from 100% down to 0% and then charge back to 100%, you simply have to complete a full charge cycle every month. This can be accomplished by draining from 100% do to 50%, and then charging back to 100% two times.