battery..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBilal, May 10, 2015.

1. iBilal macrumors regular

iBilal

I have a mid-2013 rMBP 15 .. the battery health and all says 180 cycles and 97% capacity of the original batter .. I know these batteries can't be replaced .. they're built-in and supposed to do 1000 cycles ..

have any of you done like 400 or 500 cycles .. and your battery capacity is down accordingly to 50%? ..

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's not how it works at all. I think whoever gave your that info has misled you completely.

The battery is rated to keep 80% of its original capacity for 1000 cycles. So no, it won't go down to 50% by the time it reaches 500 cycles. Do the math yourself, you'd lose 0.1% battery per cycle. At 180 cycles you should be down to 82%. You're clearly not.

Regardless, the battery'll die from old age at around the 5 year mark, no matter how much or how little you use it.

Moral of the story: use your Mac, stop monitoring it.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm sure that has happened, but not very often. My mid 2009 13" MBP has 1400 cycles on the battery and it's still around 70% capacity.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

oh, I get it ..

thanks for explaining that, guys ..

these batteries can't be replaced so I was wondering if they have a life span? .. a certain number of cycles, etc.?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

7. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

oh, I see ..

they are replaceable .. just not user replaceable ..

they can only be replaced by Apple ..

I don't think I've ever had a notebook I had to take in for any type of issues or service .. I usually keep my main work-horse laptop (the 15" one) for five years or so .. the others I just buy and sell because I like to play with them and love Apple technology .. :)

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

5 to 6 years, as mentioned earlier. Less if you abuse it to the max.