daniesy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
Hello. My S5 got from 99% to 82% while I was sleeping (from 2am to 9am). Is this normal? Now it's 11 am, I'm at 78% and i barely used it.

Mo 1959

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
As much as I like my other Apple gear, I cannot bring myself to get the watch for this reason. I don’t want to have to charge it every day.
My Garmin Forerunner is worn 24/7, recording steps, heart rate, sleep, etc plus a couple of runs using gps and still lasts a week.
Wonder if there’s any chance of Apple getting at least 3 days battery life, then I might be interested.

Comment

Significant1

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2014
As much as I like my other Apple gear, I cannot bring myself to get the watch for this reason. I don’t want to have to charge it every day.
My Garmin Forerunner is worn 24/7, recording steps, heart rate, sleep, etc plus a couple of runs using gps and still lasts a week.
Wonder if there’s any chance of Apple getting at least 3 days battery life, then I might be interested.
I had a hard time choosing the right Apple Watch and while waiting I ordered an amazfit bip. The difference in battery-life was unreal, Even with constant HR and everything enabled plus it had always on display it used less power per day, than AW in 1 hour. I don't think I charged it more than once, the weeks I had it, before giving it to my father.

Reactions: Mo 1959
Comment

daniesy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
I came from a Garmin Fenix 5 where the battery lasts 1 week minimum with everything turned on. But still, losing 17% battery overnight is scary.

Comment

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Just to clarify, you were wearing your watch while sleeping @daniesy? Are you using a sleep tracking app? Put that watch on the charger when you jump in the shower and get ready for the day and it will be back at or close to a full charge. Go through your day and throw on the charger before bed. It's likely less ideal if you're used to much longer battery life of another Smart watch but it's not bad. The key is getting your settings optimized and building the habits to charge.

On my AW 4, one day last week I had 3:05 of use with 1 day of standby battery sitting at 44%, that included wearing while sleeping. I have mine dialed and am happy enough with battery life, obviously I'd not mind if future versions had more.

I often see people make comments about turning settings off along the lines of "why would you buy an Apple Watch if you're not going to use it as intended." Blah blah blah. Last I checked features are optional for a reason.

Comment

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
I usually lose anywhere from 5-10% overnight. A quick charge while I’m showering usually keeps my watch topped off day to day. No, I don’t wear my watch while I shower, so that is a great time for me to charge the watch. I have a charger at work just in case so I can charge whenever I want.

My AW5 would last 2 days if I wanted it to. I charge every day just because of the convenience (less time charging).

Been using an Apple Watch for years now. Just got used to charging everyday. Yes, I came from a FitBit that would last days upon days... but the Apple Watch does so much more... Answers calls, unlocks my MacBook, puts in my Admin password when installing things, and does GPS while I’m running - while Bluetooth’ing music to my AirPods.

Would I like the battery life to be better? Yep. That’ll be my #1 determination for upgrading in the future.

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2019
The always-on-display has a lot to do with it. Also any faces using a lot of pixels taxes battery too, as it's an OLED display.

When I had a Galaxy Watch Active (still do in the unlikely case I miss Android one day) I had to disable the AOD since it would take 45% overnight. Likely from me moving as I slept making it wake up over and over again. The Galaxy Watch would barely make it through work so I'm happy to have a fully functional AOD and still manage a day plus.

Series 5 despite its many defects (Mine's a lemon with a faulty accelerometer and mic) still averages 24-29 hours before the battery hits 35%. That's a couple hours of workouts, controlling music via Now Playing, Siri requests (when it works), AOD, getting notifications, sleep tracking via AutoSleep.

Comment

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
A couple of other thoughts here. How long have you had the watch or how long has it been since the last update was applied? I ask because typically it takes a few days for the watch or any Apple device to "settle down" to a point where battery life is normalized.

Have you installed any apps recently? Rogue apps are often a source of battery drain.

Lastly, this is a good read to walk through your settings.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-watch-more-battery-life/

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Those who are concerned about battery life should get a Garmin or Fitbit. I have no problem charging my Apple Watch every night.
Honestly I don’t see the issue.

i charge my phone every night too...even when it’s not needed

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2019
A couple of other thoughts here. How long have you had the watch or how long has it been since the last update was applied? I ask because typically it takes a few days for the watch or any Apple device to "settle down" to a point where battery life is normalized.

Have you installed any apps recently? Rogue apps are often a source of battery drain.

Lastly, this is a good read to walk through your settings.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-watch-more-battery-life/

I hope this helps me since my Series 5 really sucks lately, but its battery is doing fine. My Series 3 was a bit sketchy for a couple weeks re: Siri/anything internet related/dictation, etc. but I've had my 5 long enough that this shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: staggerlee41
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.