Battery!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sWaltuo, Dec 6, 2007.

1. sWaltuo macrumors regular

I have had my iPhone since launch and never had a problem with it. Well, until like three days ago. My battery suddenly went from lasting about a day and a half (maybe more depending on usage) to less than 5 hours?

Any suggestions? I have tried a restore, hard reset, etc. All the normal things? I would appreciate anything that could shed some light on my problem, thanks!!

2. snook911 macrumors 6502a

is that 5 hours total or 5 hour on usage. Also have you made amy changes in bow your using the iPhone.

3. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

5 hours total! like while it is in "sleep" mode ..

and no, no changes in how I use the phone. Simple internet usage, phone calls, ipod here and there. Nothing out of the norm ..

4. snook911 macrumors 6502a

sounds like its time for an appointment with a genius. I would try and time it so the phone is almost dead and then they could look at the usage time. Good luck.

5. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

yea .. I was hopping I wouldn't have to do that! Thanks man ..

6. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Just sounds like your battery has lost its 'memory'. Do a full drain, full charge, full drain and full charge again and it will be fixed i promise you

7. jontucker macrumors 6502

That would be ok if Li-on batteries had a 'memory' but since they don't, that won't work.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Draining it fully and charging fully helps maintain the life of any type of battery.

9. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

I will try this .. I read somewhere that in order to have a "true full" charge I need to turn the wifi off? true?

Thanks for the help

10. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

This is true of older nicad batteries but not true of lithium ion batteries. Draining them all the way down stresses the iPhone battery and reduces battery life. The best practice is to charge as often as possible. Lithium ion batteries do not have a memory so it makes no sense to "re-calibrate" an iPhone battery. If you do not believe me research it.

I posted this thread a while back on the exact same subject. Check it out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=343633&highlight=the+proper+way+to+charge+an+iphone

11. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info! But it still doesn't help me understand why my battery all the sudden went from lasting almost 2 days to not lasting more than 5 hours on standby ..

12. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

maybe its not a matter of battery memory, but of what your phone thinks the battery life is... I remember reading something about that a while back ...
    Not that this helps you at all ... And i would think a restore would fix this....

13. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

I have restored probably twice (at the minimum, maybe three time) ... I have tried everything I can think of ... deleted everything off the phone and then restored, etc ... I thought it might be a mail account so I deleted all of those ... still lasting me about 5 hours on standby ...

14. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Well then you should tell apple that since me and a friend have had the same issue as the OP and apple told us to do full discharges and recharges a few times and it solved the issue... go figure :rolleyes:

15. leeus macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I have a similar issue with my battery. It never EVER shows a full charge on the screen. Should I call apple?

16. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to an apple store today to talk to a genius .. I'll let everyone know what they say.

17. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

my iphone battery usage goes like this:

Wake up at 6am every morning, and by the time im in bed around 11, im still at like 80-90 %.

I do use the ipod alot, google map search, texts, .. prob. an hour an half /2 hours of use during the day.

Keep Wi-Fi OFF, keep bluetooh OFF, i have my mail on auto check evrey HOUR.

btw, this is a non-hacked iphone, running, 1.1.2, ( was purchased with 1.1.1 though )

- Alec

18. sWaltuo thread starter macrumors regular

So I went to the apple store talked to a genius. Explained what I was experiencing and the steps I had taken to try and fix the problem. He looked my phone for about 20 seconds and then handed me a new one! I said thanks signed a piece of paper for documentation while he swapped my sim card and I was on my way. I literally spent a maximum of 10 minutes with him.

This is why I love apple!

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Unfortunately you are misinformed. See this.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

20. alFR macrumors 68020

On the page you link to, I think the equipment referred to is "computer", not "iphone".

If you look here you'll find Apple say: