Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollywood

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
It's Bad I mean really really bad... I am in shock. People did say it was a problem. I can't believe that the made the iPhone thinner and didn't upgrade the battery.

Apart from that a great Phone...

How are people coping, I guess you have to switch wi-fi and email push off... and use the maps sparingly although it does crash for you regularly enough.

but then what's the point of the phone might as well get a crackberry... mmm

Not good and no solution on the horizon apart form carrying a power monkey in my front pocket.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Turn off location services, and manually adjust the brightness down. Switch over to EDGE full time, unless you need the extra 3G speed.

TEG

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Actually, this is probably the OP's first charge, which is going to be pretty terrible.

Give it a couple cycles. The battery needs to "stretch" a bit. If you see no improvement, get it exchanged.

What does your usage screen say?

Ollywood

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
usage 4 hr 28
stand by 9hrs 50

and has now 10% left in the battery. It's 0100 here and the last "top up" was at 1800 so no idea where it got the 9hrs stand by.

Ollywood

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Well I was experimenting over the week end and switched pretty much all of the extras like Wi-fi, push, bluetooth and it worked. Managed to get about 10 hours of stand and 3 hours of usage and had about 20% left at the end of the day. Result.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
At the moment mine is sitting on 13 hours standby, 45 minutes usage and the battery is still full, no bars lost. I normally get the 20% warning after about 4 hours and 45 minutes usage, with 1 day and 15 hours or so standby. I've noticed that battery life definitely does improve over time.

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Well I was experimenting over the week end and switched pretty much all of the extras like Wi-fi, push, bluetooth and it worked. Managed to get about 10 hours of stand and 3 hours of usage and had about 20% left at the end of the day. Result.

Thats awful!!!!!You have a duff my friend!

I expect 24 hours standby with that usage before hitting 20%

wrboyce

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
"Smashing through the boundaries
lunacy has found me
cannot stop the Battery"

Sorry, couldn't resist when I saw the thread title... (they're the opening lyrics from a song called Battery by Metallica)

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
I'm currently at full battery after 1 day of standby and 3 hours of usage. Wifi, push e-mail, bluetooth, and GPS are all turned off.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I have full battery after 10hr 25m standby and 44m usage.

I have 3G enabled
Wifi enabled
Push enabled

calibrate the battery a few times (fully charge and let the phone go down to 0)

:)

AustinIphoner

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
im having the same issues! first day i got it (saturday) it was full, and i had it out playing with it, and it drained super fast. Hopefully you guys are right and it has to be "stretched" if not, im going to Apple.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I've been following battery-related threads pretty religiously since launch day, and the only things that are clear are that lots of people are having problems and that there's no good way to tell when problems warrant an attempted exchange. I almost hate to ask, but....can we get some opinions as to what would be a good point to give up hope and try and get Apple to exchange a phone because of a "bad" battery?

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
I'm currently at full battery after 1 day of standby and 3 hours of usage. Wifi, push e-mail, bluetooth, and GPS are all turned off.
CORRECTION: As it turns out, this was too good to be true. After roughly an hour of intensive use (i.e., streaming audio and GPS) my battery suddenly dropped to 10%. I lasted about another hour on standby before she died. My battery indicator needs more calibration apparently.
I've been following battery-related threads pretty religiously since launch day, and the only things that are clear are that lots of people are having problems and that there's no good way to tell when problems warrant an attempted exchange. I almost hate to ask, but....can we get some opinions as to what would be a good point to give up hope and try and get Apple to exchange a phone because of a "bad" battery?
I'd give it a week or two. If you aren't getting at least a day of standby after after several deep charges, you probably have a dud.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Huh, what are you doing?

My settings are:
EDGE (I have 3G in my area but I only turn it on if I need to surf the internet and there's no wifi)
I don't use GPS
Brightness is around 30-40%
Don't play games too often
Use the internet (on wifi) for maybe 30-45 minutes a day
I send/receive around 200 texts a day
Use the iPod for around an hour a day
Maybe 30 minutes worth of calls a day

annnd my battery lasts me about 2-3 days. I realize my usage is on the low side though.

If you've cranked up the brightness, and are running GPS, games, 3G, etc. your battery will die very, very fast.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I watched two movies on mine this morning and the battery was at somewhere around 60-70%. Not sure how to get an exact reading. I wish someone would release a good battery application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.