Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xoggyux, Mar 19, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Model Information:
    Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-38a9-61fa
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0110
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2562
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2562
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 66
    Condition: Check battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 336
    Voltage (mV): 12597

Tell me what do you think.
    I am speechless....

2. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Thats obviously defective. Take it in to an Apple Store.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

looks like a faulty battery or faulty information.

to fix the latter try calibrating your battery.

to fix the former go yell at the apple store:mad:

4. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

This is after trying to calibrate it (last week starting showing 60~70%) so I calibrated it once but when charging it got stuck at 99% (~4000mhA) I had to disconnect it and connect it again and then it went to 100% but since I had to disconnect it before it reached 100% (~4200mhA) i thought it would be best to "recallibrate it" once more before taking decisions, so yesterday I leave the computer on the whole night and this morning (after 8 on, not sleeping since I disabled it, just on but with display off) it went off, I let it sit without plugging it for like 8 hours then recharge again and this is what I get, now its again sitting at 99% and it say its full yet it say its charging....
    The thing is I recently replaced my HDD with an SSD myself and I do not want apple to get bitchy with me since i do not have apple care (however I am still within the 1 year warranty) so my question is, will they under any circumstances will open the computer to check the battery? (I know it sounds weird but weird things happen all the time.?) I also know HDD is serviceable but they might get bitchy with me since I did not buy apple care?
    Should I disconnect it from the wall? I do not want exploding batteries because it wont stop charging it after full?

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well if thats after calibrating then i would say your battery is screwy. and should be taken in. until then definitely disconnect it from the wall that is how i fried the battery in my iBook.

as for the apple care question if they give you any grief about it just tell them that you plan on buying it in the future. your just getting the scratch together to buy it. and i dont think replacing the hard drive yourself voids the warranty. so they shouldnt get mad at you about that

6. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

Im going to take it in tomorrow then. I never thought this day would ever come!

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im sure it will be fine. no worries dude

8. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got it switched thanks, so now I got a 0 cycles :D.

9. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I envy you. You got 0 cycles again after 66 cycles. LOL. Nice man!

10. mkvowner macrumors newbie

Good deal. Ha...i have 22 on a 3 week old battery...

11. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

wow thats a lot! do you use it daily on the battery?

12. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I don't want to start another battery thread since there have been so many, so I'll ask here.
    I have the same battery (same model, firmware, hardware, and cell revision/version numbers) with 46 cycles, and it is going between 74% and 97% in coconutBattery. It seems like after I calibrate it (or even just use it for a while), the capacity goes down. Will Apple replace it even if my mac is older than one year old? I know the rule is 80% and 300 cycles, but I can't remember if it has to be within 1 year as well because the battery is consumable and not covered by apple care. Right now, my mac is 11 months old, but I would like to wait as long as possible to replace the battery since the capacity of this one is good enough for now (I almost never use it for more than an hour at a time), and the longer I wait, the longer the new one will last.

13. mkvowner macrumors newbie

1 year or 300 charge cycles, which ever comes first. APP only covers it if you have an "X" in the menu bar.

14. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Thanks. I guess I'll be going to the Apple store tomorrow.