Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

o.neill.kid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Hi so I am thinking about buying the Macbook Pro with the two graphics card. I have never had a Macbook or any Apple computer before and I was just wondering. I do like to use my computer on the road and stuff but for the most part its just at my desk plugged in. So I was wondering, does keeping the computer plugged in (with already 100% battery) be bad for it? Also if you keep plug in all the time, does it register as a battery cycle? Sorry for the dumb question just wondering!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

It is good to dran the battery every now and then to keep the cells active. And no, one cycle is based on cumulative dicharges; idle time on the charger does not count as a cycle.

o.neill.kid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

It is good to dran the battery every now and then to keep the cells active. And no, one cycle is based on cumulative discharges; idle time on the charger does not count as a cycle.

Yea, I do the same on my current laptop and I let it discharge fully about 1-2 a month, so should I do more on the MBP? And how long does the battery last realistically Apple says 5 years but how long really? Since you can't replace it, if the battery does die / has problems or whatever do you send it to Apple and they replace it? How much does that cost if you are out of warranty? Also is it worth getting the extended warranty? Its $400!

doox00

macrumors regular
May 10, 2006
Yea, I do the same on my current laptop and I let it discharge fully about 1-2 a month, so should I do more on the MBP? And how long does the battery last realistically Apple says 5 years but how long really? Since you can't replace it, if the battery does die / has problems or whatever do you send it to Apple and they replace it? How much does that cost if you are out of warranty? Also is it worth getting the extended warranty? Its $400!

Get apple care from ebay for under 100.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Yea, I do the same on my current laptop and I let it discharge fully about 1-2 a month, so should I do more on the MBP?

Once or twice a month is fine.

And how long does the battery last realistically Apple says 5 years but how long really?

Nobody can tell you anything reliable on this since they were just introduced 2 months ago.

How much does that cost if you are out of warranty? Also is it worth getting the extended warranty? Its $400!

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.