Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ceebee1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Chatsworth, CA
Hi all, just thought I'd post my 2 cents, after having gone 5 days with as-is iOS5 on an ATT iPhone 4s, before finally pulling the trigger and restoring + setting up as new, then syncing to an iTunes backup.

So my first few days, I was unhappy with battery life like many of you, but I found some small life-prolonging tricks, like disabling many of the location services features. The phone felt a lot faster than my 3Gs, so I didn't really want to mess with something that didn't feel totally broken.

However, the more I thought about it, the less that made sense. It's ridiculous to be crippling so many of the features that make the iPhone so useful. Could I live without the iPhone sending diagnostics info to Apple? Yes... but then maybe Apple would be less likely to see things like my occasional kernel panic, and therefore might be less likely to implement a fix in 5.1. And could I live without compass using location services to its advantage? Yes... but damnit, it's still useful.

So, with that in mind, tonight I bit the bullet and restored my phone, and set it up as new. I then synced it to my iTunes backup from a few hours ago.

Upon completion, I noticed a BIG performance difference.
Almost immediately, my 3G speeds jumped up a factor of 2 in my house.
Everything seems faster... even battery recharging.

My guess is - many of our pre-ordered iPhones came with an early/faulty build or loading of iOS5, and doing a restore+setup as new is somehow improving on the system.

I know some of you tried this, and haven't seen total fixes. Perhaps there are some faulty hardware sets out there, or stuck processes that are killing your battery life. But for me - and it seems like >75% of the other readers I've seen post on this - a restore and setup as new is resulting in big gains.

Anyway, would like to hear anyone elses results/thoughts.

Oh... and since the restore, all of my low-memory and kernel panic events that were showing up in diagnostic data reporting have disappeared, and have not yet occured again. Coincidence?

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Hi all, just thought I'd post my 2 cents, after having gone 5 days with as-is iOS5 on an ATT iPhone 4s, before finally pulling the trigger and restoring + setting up as new, then syncing to an iTunes backup.

So my first few days, I was unhappy with battery life like many of you, but I found some small life-prolonging tricks, like disabling many of the location services features.

However, the more I thought about it, the less that made sense. It's ridiculous to be crippling so many of the features that make the iPhone so useful. Could I live without the iPhone sending diagnostics info to Apple? Yes... but then maybe Apple would be less likely to know it was an issue and therefore less likely to implement a fix in 5.1.

So, tonight I bit the bullet, and restored my phone, and set it up as new. I then synced it to my iTunes backup from a few hours ago.

Upon completion, I noticed a BIG performance difference.
Almost immediately, my 3G speeds jumped up a factor of 2 in my house.
Everything seems faster... even battery recharging.

My guess is - all of our pre-ordered iPhones came with an early/faulty build of iOS5, and doing a restore+setup as new is somehow improving on the system.

I know some of you tried this, and haven't seen total fixes. Perhaps there are some faulty hardware sets out there, or stuck processes that are killing your battery life. But for me, and it seems like >75% of the other readers I've seen post on this - a restore and setup as new is resulting in big gains.

Anyway, would like to hear anyone elses results/thoughts.

When I got home, the first thing I did was a DFU restore of the operating system before I activated. Still have the same battery issues. I even started as a new phone, not a backup from an older phone.

Ceebee1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Chatsworth, CA
Maybe try a restore now? Not a DFU, but a regular restore?
Also, check your diagnostics reporting... I had some weird low-memory and kernel panic events that were in there. Not sure when they happened, as I didn't notice any major interruptions in functionality, but they've stopped since I restored...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.