Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waldo40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Hi, I recently bought BFME2 and I am playing it through Boot Camp. My problem is that I can't play online for some reason. I can enter game rooms, but host cannot start the game because I have no connection to the other players (Hope you understood that!). I have a time capsule and a modem. I am connected to the internet via ethernet cable which goes to the time capsule. I am able to play online when i plug the cable directly to the modem, but then no-one can use the timecapsule, so that's bad.

But since the game works when I am connected directly to the modem I am sure that the problem is in time capsule. Do you have any ideas?
Sorry if this is on wrong forum.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
You will probably have to open up ports in the Time Capsule to allow you to play the game online. I don't know which ports the game itself uses, but some where there is documentation in the game to tell you what to do.

I'd try to help with that, but my copy is installed in Crossover Games, and I don't think the multiplayer component works with it. I don't play multiplayer with it anyway, so it doesn't matter to me if it does or not.

Waldo40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
You will probably have to open up ports in the Time Capsule to allow you to play the game online. I don't know which ports the game itself uses, but some where there is documentation in the game to tell you what to do.

I'd try to help with that, but my copy is installed in Crossover Games, and I don't think the multiplayer component works with it. I don't play multiplayer with it anyway, so it doesn't matter to me if it does or not.

Well, I checked and BFME uses UPD ports 8088-65535, but I don't know how to open those ports. Is there a walkthorugh or something available?

Waldo40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Well, I'm back. But I have still problems. I followed portforward.com's tutorials and now I have done the following to get my online play work.
I assigned a static IP-address to my mac, it is now 10.0.1.15.
Then I enabled the NAT port mapping protocol and added UPD port 8088 there. But when I check my IP from the whatismyip.com it says my IP is something like 86.100.0.3. And that's the same as my Time Capsule has (I checked it form the Airport utility). And what is even more confusing is that when I start my bootcamp it says that my ip address is 10.0.1.253! Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help given!!!

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Your Mac's IP address is given to it from the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule has the address given it from your internet connection. I wonder if booting into Windows makes the Time Capsule see your Mac differently, so it assigns a different IP address than you get from OSX.

In any case, you need to make sure the ports are forwarded from the Time Capsule to your Mac. Just tell the Time Capsule to forward to the IP address your Mac says it has, not what you get from "whatismyip.com".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.