Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the better Bang for your buck?

• iPad Mini 3

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • iPad Air

Votes: 41 83.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Which is the better steal?

iPad Air Benefits:
- Larger Display
- Full Color Gamut
- A7/M7 Clocked Higher

iPad Mini 3 Benefits:
- Touch ID
- Gold Option
- Higher Pixel Density
- Portability

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
100 dollars for Touch ID and Gold coloring is the biggest waste of money. It should come down to iPad Air vs iPad Mini 2. And that choice should come down to size considerations.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I voted for the Air because I misread the choices. I thought it was about the Air 2 vs Mini 3.

The better deal has little to do with price and specs for me. It's all about which will get used more.

But I could never decide, thus I've been using a Mini 2 on the road and an Air at home for the past year.

For reading and media consumption, nothing beats the Air's larger punchier screen. And for portability, the Mini wins.

If you can't afford both, choose by size and you can't go wrong IMO.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Air for me. I'll take the extra screen real estate if I'm going to be paying the same price. Sent from my iPad.

Toocool

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Im undecided here. I prefer the size of the Air.

If you prefer the size of Air, then it's a no-brainer. If you can afford to spend 100$ more you get the best of both worlds in iPad Air 2 :) Touch Id, Gold option, better camera, significantly faster graphics, faster processor. If 2GB RAM is confirmed, it will last you 2-3 years easily.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I'm really confused on what the hell Apple's strategy is with this messy iPad lineup. The air is the best buy hands down.

Why are they keeping the original mini around? It can barely run iOS 8. So that means it'll run iOS 9 when its announced. YIKES!

Looks like the beginning of the end for the mini. Nice experiment Apple. The iPad air 2 is now under one pound and will probably get a little lighter yet eventually getting so close in weight to the mini that the mini will die off.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I'm really confused on what the hell Apple's strategy is with this messy iPad lineup. The air is the best buy hands down.

Why are they keeping the original mini around? It can barely run iOS 8. So that means it'll run iOS 9 when its announced. YIKES!

Looks like the beginning of the end for the mini. Nice experiment Apple. The iPad air 2 is now under one pound and will probably get a little lighter yet eventually getting so close in weight to the mini that the mini will die off.

The footprint is still bigger because of the screen size.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The footprint is still bigger because of the screen size.

The operating systems have slowly been converging and within 1-2 years the iPad will have some sort of split screen implementation. The mini just wont work for that rendering it a cheaper, simpler device. Its clear Apple is putting all their bets behind the iPad Air.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The Mini 2 @ 349 with 32GB is the deal to beat.

Next best is iPad Air 32GB @ 449

Somewhere long after the iPad Air 2 is the Mini 3 in value. All it has is touchID, the A7 is thermally constrained in that device. I love touchID but guys this is a tablet not a phone it's not necessary.

BTW if it matters I ordered a iPad Air 2 64GB LTE Space Grey. 729 :O

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
The Mini 2 @ 349 with 32GB is the deal to beat.

Next best is iPad Air 32GB @ 449

Somewhere long after the iPad Air 2 is the Mini 3 in value. All it has is touchID, the A7 is thermally constrained in that device. I love touchID but guys this is a tablet not a phone it's not necessary.

In this case.
16gb mini 3 with Touch ID $50 more. Vs 32gb mini 2 without touchID for $50 less

Is touchID 50 more and less storage.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
In this case.
16gb mini 3 with Touch ID $50 more. Vs 32gb mini 2 without touchID for $50 less

Is touchID 50 more and less storage.

If you go 16GB you must go LTE too. You will be severely constrained on apps too.

I would rather have a 32GB iPad without touch ID, than a 16GB with it.

I stand by the wifi 32GB mini 2 as the best choice. TouchID may seem worth $50, but you cut your space in half AND make it $50 more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.