Battle of the Browsers Poll [What is your default browser?]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qacjared, Aug 18, 2008.

?

What Browser do you use the most?

1. Safari 3

57 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Firefox 3

38 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. Safari 2 and under

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Firefox 2 and under

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. WebKit Nightlies

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Opera

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Firefox Nightlies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Camino

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  9. OmniWeb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. iCab

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  11. Mozilla/Seamonkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I do not browse the Web on my mac. I use my iPhone/iPod Touch exclusively and love MoblieSafari

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  13. I still use Internet Explorer 5.2.3

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  14. I use one of the various Netscape Branded Browsers that are no longer supported by AOL.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I do not own a mac and use a browser on Windows or Linux.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. qacjared macrumors regular

I myself love the webkit nightlies because they are insanely faster then the already lightspeed safari browser.

The last answer to the poll was supposed to be "I am voting in this poll in the "Mac Applications" forum even tho I do not own a mac and use a browser on Windows or Linux Instead." but it was over the 1000 character limit for an answer.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...hasn't the "which browser" question been done enough times already? Really....oh yeah!

3. muldul macrumors 6502

I tend to always use the default browser that comes with the OS. I use Internet Explorer on my PCs and Safari on my Mac. I never liked firefox.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

i use opera and fireox at the same time..........(macbook)

is this ok??

im thnking of using 3 or 4 browsers at the smae time.....in diff workspaces.

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Off topic, but yes, this is perfectly fine. Nothing bad will happen, except you'll cringe a little when you switch to the non-Opera spaces :D

8. raztro macrumors newbie

I'm a diehard Opera fan but I'm finding the OS X version lacking a little, it's definitely not as smooth as Safari. This makes me sad.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

10. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

The OS X version lags behind the Windows version quite a bit. I still prefer it, though :) Only thing I like better about Safari is smooth scrolling.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I split my time between Firefox 3 and Safari 3...there are quirks in both of them that get on my nerves so I switch it up. They're right next to each other on my dock. I voted for Safari 3 though because I'm using Safari right now.

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I've been using Safari as my default browser since I got 10.3. I've always had Firefox installed and setting in the dock for when I'm having difficulties with websites, but the biggest issues I've had with Firefox is the lack of OS X integration: not using native buttons, not able to use the built in spell check or dictionary, no keychain support, etc. Of course there is Camino, but Firefox has a much larger plugin library that i like.

13. qacjared thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but nothing with this many options

I did search. and yes there are quite a few. but most of them are just firefox or safari which reminds me of IE vs Firefox on Windows. The whole point of this is the me THE battle of the browsers and to include ALL relevant OS X browsers to be as scientific as you can get on a forum. With that in mind I gave this topic a good name (Battle of the Browsers) and included alot of options including less common choices such as iCab which is still being developed for Mac OS 9.

So yes there is value in this that the other threads do no have.

Anyone know if theres a way to add this to the choices? Because I knew I forgot something when I made this and now I know what that was. I really like flock even tho I do not use it yet I just love the idea of of a social browser and would love to include it in this poll.

14. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

lol
    dude you like your opera eh?
    why so much? whats your fav things about it?
    you use mouse gestures?
    hotmail sucks on opera....and on safari.....firefox and IE are good for hotmail..

but i heard IE is very unsfae.....is this true????
    or shall i just use IE on macbook as well????
    would it be ok to install IE on macbook??

15. qacjared thread starter macrumors regular

dude you do know that IE 5.2.3 was released way back on June 16, 2003 and is therefore over 5 years old

16. ShaneR macrumors member

17. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No. Your Macbook will explode.

Seriously, you'll be punished if you install IE on a modern Mac. Or at least you should be.

Support for IE 5.x for Mac ceased a long time ago, and it can't handle most modern web sites. It's ancient, ancient browser tech. It also doesn't render the same as IE 6 or 7 for Windows, so there's no point in installing it to check web designs. That's what Parallels/VMWare is for.

18. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

yeah its just that hotmail works best with internet explorer.
    i dont really wanna use internet with bootcamp/fusion windows xp.....cause of viruses etc.

you know how mac are very secure for viruses etc.....when yuo put windows xp on a mac.........and browse net on windows xp........is this secure like mac leopard too??? or is it windows xp 100% with all the security weaknesses??

19. mcnees287 macrumors newbie

You need/should have anti virus installed for your XP partition, its completely separate from OS X when doing this.

20. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Maybe the answer is to start a thread ...

[ducking] ::)

mt

P.S. Flock is great even without all the social stuff.

21. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

oh ok....ive got nod32 for pc..........

but say if i NEVER use internet browser in windows xp on macbook.......
    but say if airport is turned on.......in the background. while im using windows xp.......

can i still be attacked by virus etc??? or are we only vulnerable when actually using browser/websites?

22. qacjared thread starter macrumors regular

I disable airport, ethernet, and bluetooth under XP on my Mac.

23. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

This is off-topic, so if you wish to know, PM me, but to answer your question, yes, I do. And who cares about hotmail? :D (Not really, just poking fun).