Battlefield 2 on macbook pro with xp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Bigsam411, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Bigsam411 macrumors member

Alright this is what is happening. I recently reinstalled XP on my 2.2 Macbook pro in order to play Battlefield 2 with some Friends. It ran fin for a while other than a few blue screens when hitting the function key (I assume it was a keyboard issue from the research I have done). The other night while playing I received a Blue screen again and this time when I got back into the game I was able to go through the menus but once the game loaded up the keyboard and mouse would not work.

I also tried reinstalling the game and that did not help.

I am using a Bluetooth mighty mouse and the laptops keyboard. I really want to avoid reformatting and reinstalling windows.

anybody have any input as to what my problem is?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Check the Event Log in Windows and pay a little more attention to what's being dumped to screen.

It might be the mouse or it might be it doesn't like the special functions in use during the game.

3. nylock10 macrumors regular

Ever since I got the updated (slim) keyboard, Battlefield 2 always crashes when I'm at a menu screen if I hit a function button.

In game however, I don't remember any crashes.

4. Bigsam411 thread starter macrumors member

I did get this in the event viewer: "\Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Otherwise much of it was either the mouse moving out of range of the laptop or the computer appearing to start up.

The odd part is that the mouse and keyboard both worked fine with the game yesterday. Now I cannot even use the trackpad, mighty mouse, or keyboard. I'll have to find a usb mouse and try that I guess.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like there's some problem with how the function keys special functions communicate the firmware. (e.g. keyboard backlight, display brightness)

If you use the Boot Camp Control Panel you can disable their special functions and they'll work like normal F keys.

6. Bigsam411 thread starter macrumors member

Already did that. The bsod's were occurring when i pressed the fn key. As far as playing the input devices not working when I connect to a game that just seems like some setting got changed when I blue screened too many times.

I really do not know who to blame, Is it EA for the Bug ridden game or Apple for their keyboard firmware?

7. Bigsam411 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I tried a random usb mouse and that did not work. Also the BSOD I got was "Irql not less or equal" which appears to be an irq conflict.

I might just uninstall the boot camp drivers and reinstall them and if that does not work ill just reinstall winblows.

oh and thanks for the help Eldorian.

8. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I'm having the exact same dang issue. Game crashes when I use the fn key... say to turn up my volume if I started the game with it too quiet. Only fix I've found is turn up my volume before I launch BF2 ;). It's hit and miss though. In game it doesn't always crash, but in the menu it does. I have set the keys so that the functions such as display brightness, sound, etc require the fn key while normal ingame functions that use the f keys work fine without the fn key.

Not sure why this is happening. On a SR MBP 2.4.

Somebody please find a fix :)