battlefield 2142 3.06ghz imac problems

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by DaFtPuNkEr, Jun 18, 2008.

1. DaFtPuNkEr macrumors newbie

hi i brought a 24" 3.06 ghz imac yesterday along with other things i brought a copy of battlefield 2142. installed it thinking it's gonna run amazingly but no i get black bar either side of the screen and laggy gameplay i mean the imac has a 512mb graphics card to play with and it is having problem with a ordnairy game PLZ! help me i love my imac so much and it would be even better being able to run this game thank you for reading

rhys :)

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

The game even on my pc runs crappy at times, make sure your patched upto date, and that your server was not laggy.

I also disable shadows as a rule and don't use AA it isn't needed unless your spending more time looking at pretty gfx and less time looking at the guy your shooting.

Also drop your textures to medium, little loss in quality HUGE increase in FPS ;) try also loosing down effects to medium, but ensure your view distance remains 100%.

3. DaFtPuNkEr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. aced411 macrumors 6502

fyi

2142 was ported pretty lazily to mac using a windows emulator (basically tricking it into thinking it's running in Windows). All debates aside, there is a definite performance decrease. I have a slower machine than you (2.16, 128 video). I have a dual boot with Vista. In windows 2142 runs smooth at high resolution and w/ little issues. In OS X it runs decent at low resolution but occasionally chokes during gameplay. I was pretty disappointed that I paid more for a crummier version. If you want your imac to show you what it can do with games, unfortunately you're going to have to use bootcamp and play windows games. There are a few games out there that were were fully ported to mac (by aspyr) that have much better performance, but still a little worst than the windows counterparts. Call of Duty 4 will be one of those games. Only downside is you still have to wait extended periods of time to get the latest updates.

5. DaFtPuNkEr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

sorry one more question since you have be using boot-camp has there been a performance deceasre because i brought the computer for photoshop use considering it runs so fast but i don't want to ruin the performance when putting boot-camp on

thanks

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Boot Camp does not decrease the performance of the computer.

This is because you are running Mac OS or Windows, not both at the same time.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Mine runs just beautifully. The 'black bars' your seeing is the games (even windows version) inability to support widescreen. BF2142 has NEVER supported widescreen long before it was ported to Mac.

The laggy game play is NOT your iMac. Don't be so quick to blame the computer or you should just take it back :D

The Mac port has had several issues. They've all been long documented by a lot of us here, in Apple Discussions, and in the EA BF2142 Mac support forum.

Personally ;) I don't have the black bars. I run my BF2142 at 1920x1200 and windowed at 1344x840. You have to modify a config file to get it to run at this. It's the same trick we had to do on the Windows side (modifying the shortcut on the desktop).

Yes, the windows version has more resolutions, but it's not the Mac, it's not the game, it's the port.

I can play a 48 man titan match just fine so I KNOW it's not the computer.

8. DaFtPuNkEr thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i was thinking that but i just wanted conformation thanks a load you guys for helping :) P.S. will be installing windows soon wOOt WooT