Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gogojuice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just wondering if this is working great on the new intel macs?

Anyone see any difference between pc/mac versions?

Can you play with other people that have PC's or are you stuck on mac only servers?

Thanks

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
u can play with people on PC servers... but since we're still waiting for the 1.4 patch for mac and most of the PC users have upgraded.... u have a severely limited amount of servers.

go to the BF 2142 mac forums at http://forums.ea.com/mboards/forum.jspa?forumID=4166

It's a good game, but as most people in that forum would agree, most of us would be happier if we had bought the PC version and were running it in bootcamp because of a) performance, b) stability, c) lack of patch 1.4 for mac (taking FOREVER), and d) expansion pack is NOT available for mac, and there are no plans to make it available either.

I mean... how can u port a game and NOT port the exp pack.... without even PLAN to port it?

you might want to get COD4 and run it in bootcamp (u can download the demo and try it) or get Quake Wars, which aspyr is porting (although i don't know why it isn't out yet... and why they haven't given us an estimate)

I played the PC demo in bootcamp while I was waiting for the mac version to come out, and the PC demo definitely had better performance (on the same system, of course)

gogojuice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Thanks. I have just purchased COD4. The single player is kinda short I thought. Finished it in 1 day. The mulitplayer is cool though. I find that most people just seem to spray and pray which I dont find happens with battlefield.

I haven't played the new quake yet though. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
It's a good game, but as most people in that forum would agree, most of us would be happier if we had bought the PC version and were running it in bootcamp because of a) performance, b) stability, c) lack of patch 1.4 for mac (taking FOREVER), and d) expansion pack is NOT available for mac, and there are no plans to make it available either.)

Mac 1.40 Update has been released:

http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/battlefield/Battlefield-2142-Update-485-to-941A.zip

Although I'm getting a server error when trying to download. :mad:

UPDATE: Downloading now! Decent speeds too...

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
The patch doesn't seem to fix the program crash at game load problem for me. Anyone else?

There is no performance increase for me on a first gen Intel iMac.

Has anyone with an R600 noticed any performance increase?

What is your system Flyinace?

TJIrwin

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
London, UK
Things seem a bit more stable on the new patch - however I did take a two month break when things were dire in the weeks after release.

Since I installed the patch yesterday I've had two lengthy sessions without any crashes, framerates and median graphics settings seem pretty good also under Leopard - certainly better than Tiger. Again whether that's a cumulative or separate issue I can't comment. Suffice to say the game is at least playable now on a MBP - something that couldn't be said in all honesty two months ago.

It remains to be seen if the Mac support is going to continue... Still no Mac Northern Strike support I've seen.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
Still the best iMac for gaming too...

What exactly happens when you start the game? Are you running any non-system processes (Quicksilver, Unsanity, Salling Clicker, etc)?

The problem is so wierd. The game will work for weeks without problems then it will just crash during level loads. I have deleted preferences, repaired permissions, quite all applications while running, and nothing seems to help.

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
hey guys i am thinking of buying the game but i do want to know about these crashes in level load.

are they simply just a crash and the computer reverts back to the desktop or do you need to restart the computer?

and does it happen every time you level load or on a rare occasion?

thanks
Freedom

FullCollapse

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Oneonta, NY
for me it just closes the program and goes back to the desktop, and seemingly at random. but, the new patch definitely helped a lot. it was completely unplayable for me before it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.