Battlefield 2142

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Saladfingersz, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Saladfingersz macrumors newbie

Saladfingersz

I dont believe this. I just got my macbook pro recently. The specs are pretty high: 2.5GHz, 512mb Geforce 8600M GT, 4GB Ram. I went and bought battlefield 2142 for mac and installed and updated it. When I started the game it was choppy and laggy at high resolution, so I toned it down to the lowest graphics possible and its still choppy. Is it the MBP? I spent $2800 on this thing and it cant even run properly on the lowest BF2142 graphic setting. It even crashed a couple of times, but I think thats due to the buggy software.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did you do the graphics update? That is very odd. I ran the Windows version on my lesser spec MBP than yours just fine.

3. Saladfingersz thread starter macrumors newbie

Saladfingersz

I did the Battlefield 485 to 941A update which is the latest one. Which update are you talking about?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The OS X leopard graphics update.

5. Saladfingersz thread starter macrumors newbie

Saladfingersz

how do i update that? I did all of the software updates..

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It would be in Software Updates, only showing if you have 10.5.2

7. Saladfingersz thread starter macrumors newbie

Saladfingersz

Ya i have 10.5.2 and I did the software update..

8. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

That's because you're running the mac port of bf 2142.... as opposed to... practically any other game in the world.

I mean, as far as porting goes... i don't think it's POSSIBLE to put less effort into porting the game than they did.
    Go back to the store you bought it at and complain a lot and see if they'll take it back. Get the PC version instead and run it in bootcamp
    You can't even get the expansion pack with the mac version, and they never announced plans to port the expansion pack (which would be extremely easy for them to do, since a regular forum user was actually able to manually port it himSELF with some minor effort... a little buggy, but if he can do it, EA should be able to do it).

I got the PC version and I now play it under windows instead of OS X.
    THAT BEING SAID, I think it's a relatively inefficient engine (though i'm not an expert on this issue)... but at least it runs decently in windows.

And btw... this is much better off in the games forum, and there's already a bunch of threads there about it... but i'll forgive u for posting it here :)

9. Saladfingersz thread starter macrumors newbie

Saladfingersz

Sorry about posting it in the wrong forum, like the title says I'm a macnewb. Thanks for the reply. I already have the PC version and being an avid PC gamer the mac version just plain sux. Thanks for the advice I'm going to try and return it tomorrow. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of bootcamping XP just to play a game. But I'll give that a shot and see how that works. I got the mac version because I heard from other MBP users that they ran 2142 just fine with the highest graphic settings..I guess they never had a gaming PC.

10. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I'd have to see it to believe it :)

11. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yeah those EA Mac games aren't native Mac games. They are running in OS/X through Cider. Stay away!!! (plus it's EA which means they the odds are very much against any effort being put into the port.)

The windows version should run solid with Bootcamp on a newer MBP.

OH and many Mac users have very low standards when they say a game runs great on their system. Some of them think that a great running game means getting 25 fps at the lowest possible settings and resolution with little happening on the screen. :)