Battlefield 4 on nMP D700

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lupinglade, Mar 4, 2014.

1. lupinglade macrumors regular

So, finally got to test out BF4 on nMP D700. Using beta Mantle driver. Getting around 70fps on ULTRA preset at native ACD Thunderbolt resolution 2560x1440. At HIGH preset FPS is around 100+. This is in multiplayer. On ULTRA the fan kicks in pretty loudly.

2. lupinglade thread starter macrumors regular

Turning off AA on Ultra or lowering it yields around 90-110 fps. Sorry for the non scientific numbers.

3. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

sweet. even tho i have a gaming pc its nice to know i can game on this littler bugger

4. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

5. lupinglade thread starter macrumors regular

6. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Which version of the Mantle beta drivers are you using? I think the initial beta version (Catalyst 14.1) didn't support multiple GPUs properly. Evidently the newest release (Catalyst 14.2) has fixed this.

7. lupinglade thread starter macrumors regular

8. dermike macrumors member

9. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Runs like a charm on 8 core d700 as well but with the standard drivers. Where are those you're talking about from?

10. 2128506 macrumors regular

You, sir, have made my day!

Mine D700-powered beast is somewhere over the Atlantic at the moment and is scheduled to arrive next Wednesday, cannot wait to fire up BF4. :)

Any frame stuttering issues? You should be able to run ULTRA in V-Sync mode pretty nicely. And no need in AA at that resolution.

----------

Is it that difficult to google it? :) First result: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

11. lupinglade thread starter macrumors regular

12. thomasfalke macrumors member

Its fun to play at Ultra settings, but the fan really makes some noise :)

I have 3 monitors, but I can't find the option to group them in AMD settings for Eyefinity :-(

13. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Can you show some temps if you may :)

14. Sinx2oic macrumors regular

Sinx2oic

Great news, thanks for posting lupin glade, getting my 8 core D700 2moz, can't wait!

15. dermike macrumors member

Anyone else having trouble getting into the Firepro settings after the beta update? Just don't start for me...

16. lupinglade thread starter macrumors regular

Don't really have any tools for that, but the air coming out does not seem very hot. I think the fan is very efficient at moving a lot of air quickly.

17. armalite macrumors member

Got my nMP today but still in the box. I ordered online and the guy I talked to said the D300 would be fine for gaming so I ordered the MP with that card. Tried to get it changed recently but was unable. Talked to guy at Apple again about the card and he said it would be easy to replace. So I will try this card and if it sucks then I will looking into upgrading it. I will download BF4 and currently play BFBC2.

18. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Apparently, there is no option to upgrade yet. Maybe, in the future. But it will not happen so soon. They can't even make Mac Pro fast enough. You will definitely stuck with D300 for a while. Unless, you buy a new one and sell your old nMP.

19. Zinn macrumors member

I have the D300s and it's great for Battlefield 4 at 2560x1600 on HIGH (not Ultra) settings. It's probably around 50 or 60 FPS in most situations, very playable. Ultra gets pretty choppy.

Still not quite as good as my GTX 780 SLI rig, but good enough. :)

20. armalite macrumors member

21. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

in windows ? do you have the base model quad ? I am thinking about getting a base model and upgrading the cpu down the road .. just wondering how bad the d300s are

22. Zinn macrumors member

I have the base model 3.7 quad / D300s upgraded to 16gb.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and the latest AMD Catalyst drivers running in CrossfireX, 2560x1600 primary monitor + a 1920x1200 portrait monitor.

Battlefield 4 is very playable. It's surprising how well it performs on High settings, but I'm not complaining.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist is playable at High settings, but it has annoying hitching issues in the overworld. I feel like it's a driver issue because it runs very smoothly in some pretty graphically intense areas.

Borderlands 2 works like a dream. Maxed out (no PhysX, obviously)

Skyrim works beautifully, completely maxed out with 8x antialiasing.

Mass Effect 3 never goes below 60 FPS but that shouldn't surprise you.

Bioshock Infinite works great at High details, although there is some screen tearing.

In general, turning on Vsync makes games very laggy / borderline unplayable. Some games have worse tearing than others, but this seems to be an AMD problem in general and not a problem with the performance of the cards. Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync is much better.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the base model Mac Pro handles the latest games in Windows. I will try to post some concrete FPS numbers on my blog pretty soon.

23. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I'm not sure about that. I run almost all of my games at their highest settings with v-sync on and I don't have choppiness issues. I have D700s though so they're quite easily able to maintain at least 60fps on almost anything I throw at them. If your computer is struggling to maintain 60fps (which wouldn't surprise me with the D300s) then running v-sync is going to make things really choppy. Anyway, my experience (especially when compared to yours) suggests that the problem is almost certainly due to hardware performance and not driver issues.

24. lupinglade thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, absolutely, V-sync has a penalty. On D300s I would not use it. Also I don't even use it on D700, I haven't noticed any significant tearing issues.

25. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Just some free software called "Hardware monitor"