Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I suspect there's a very brisk market for these parts or they wouldn't be doing this. Either that or they're somehow able to get around the locking function. And notice it's only the iPads and iPhones, so it's probably for all the parts that third parties are willing to pay for to do repairs. There's lots of these little shops around now that repair these devices and probably are willing to buy fallen off the truck parts. They were dumb to rent the SUV though, unless they stole it.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
"Surprisingly, the thieves grabbed a wad of Watch bands but after looking at them and realizing what they were, they threw them on the ground and left them behind."

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I wonder how valuable the parts actually are. The motherboard is bricked so unless you have a way to unblock one very valuable part is worthless. The screen, case, touch ID probably has value but I doubt they are getting that much for the parts; at least from the iPhones / iPads. MacBooks probably are worth more as the screen isn't cheap nor is the case / keyboard / battery. If the motherboard can be had cheap enough you could recreate function Macs, but I doubt t the thieves are doing that. My guess is they are netting maybe 10% or so of the street value; especially since markings / serials / bricked devices would be a red flag that the merchandise "fell off a truck: and thus dealers who might pay more will not touch them.

These thieves are within the lowest range of functional intelligence, they aren't thinking that far ahead.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
These thieves are within the lowest range of functional intelligence, they aren't thinking that far ahead.

Absolutely, as a cop friend once said "most thieves go into that line of work because they are too stupid to do anything else..."

This was a quick way to make some cash, and they no doubt figured they'd pull it off and never get caught.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.