Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
I have an iPhone 4 and have been preserving my BB, I know you can get an unlock from AT&T now once you are off contract so I am not sure what the usefulness of preserving the BB is anymore.

My phone is usually good but I have noticed it drops signals more and has to search - I did not used to have this issue until I upgraded from 4.1 to 5.0.1

Is it still worth preserving the BB? I did it mainly for resale value and wanted the flexibility if I took a trip overseas.

At some point soon I want to do a clean install and I am debating about what to do with the BB.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
If you can get it unlocked through AT&T, I would just go ahead and upgrade the baseband.

I would however wait until after you get it unlocked through AT&T.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you can get it unlocked through AT&T, I would just go ahead and upgrade the baseband.

I would however wait until after you get it unlocked through AT&T.

This ^^

Pod2g should be releasing his untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak in a week to 10 days (or thereabouts)
Good time to do a clean restore to stock and upgrade that baseband (as long as IMEI unlock has been attached).
Then re-JB untethered.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
This ^^

Pod2g should be releasing his untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak in a week to 10 days (or thereabouts)
Good time to do a clean restore to stock and upgrade that baseband (as long as IMEI unlock has been attached).
Then re-JB untethered.

+2

I'm in this situation as well. I'm keeping the 1.59.00 BB until my contract is up (in June, I believe). Once I'm unlocked, I'll update to 5.1.1 and update the BB in the process, then re-JB. Ah - unlocked AND untethered... Looking forward to it.

I'm not touching it until it's unlocked, though!

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Is there always a baseband update when there is an iOS firmware update? Or have two firmwares ever had the same baseband? (Or is that impossible, except for custom ipsws?)

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Is there always a baseband update when there is an iOS firmware update? Or have two firmwares ever had the same baseband? (Or is that impossible, except for custom ipsws?)

There are quite a few incremental X.X.# updates that have had the same baseband. For instance, the Original iPhone's baseband didn't change at all from iOS 2.0 to iOS 3.1.3.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
There are quite a few incremental X.X.# updates that have had the same baseband. For instance, the Original iPhone's baseband didn't change at all from iOS 2.0 to iOS 3.1.3.

Exactly - however, if you depend on an older BB for an unlock, you'd better be dang sure that the new iPSW doesn't come with a new one before using it over a custom iPSW.... and NEVER install a new stock BB over an iPad BB.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
Thanks all - I will see if AT&T can unlock and wait for 5.1.1 untethered.

Can you restore 5.0.1 if you want to do a fresh install or is all of that out the window since 5.0? I haven't done a restore since moving to 5.0.1 so I am not sure how different it is to pull off (if at all).

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
The only reason to preserve your baseband firmware version is to prevent an update to a version that cannot be unlocked. (Or more accurately, where no one has figured out how to unlock it.)

If you have an official unlock, there is absolutely no reason to do this and in fact it may hurt performance.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Thanks all - I will see if AT&T can unlock and wait for 5.1.1 untethered.

Can you restore 5.0.1 if you want to do a fresh install or is all of that out the window since 5.0? I haven't done a restore since moving to 5.0.1 so I am not sure how different it is to pull off (if at all).

Need to have saved hashes. If you did, all you need is redsnow to stitch the firmware, and then custom firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.