BB 8130 Pearl on TELUS vs iPhone 3G on Rogers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Love, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Right now I'm in the market for a new phone - right now my LG Shine is absolutely terrible. Half the time when you open it, it reboots, and the battery life can be as poor as half a day. It's very cheaply made, you can tell - the top hinge wiggles and it scratches like there's no tomorrow. I think you get my point - it was a poor decision on a phone. Right now, I'm thinking of two phones. The BB Pearl or the iPhone 3G. Here are some of my opinions to correct me if i'm wrong, and since i'm completely lost, for you to give me your opinions.

Because of my current carrier and their awful fees, they really suck. TELUS is a very evil company.

BBPearl

Pros:
    On my current carrier
    Whatever plan I want (more overall carrier freedom)
    Real keyboard
    Better camera

Cons
    Not as userfriendly
    No touchscreen, somewhat obviously
    No iPhone awesomeness factor

iPhone
    Pros
    ROGERS is a better carrier
    iPhone awesomeness factor
    Touch screen
    Better web browser

Cons
    Quality control
    Camera
    Virtual keyboard

I use the phone mainly for making calls (about 15 calls/day) and I used to text a lot but now don't because my LG phone sucks so much.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Gawd, you just convinced me to purchase another 3G iPhone...:D

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I was just given a bb (albeit not a pearl) for work, and let me tell you, nothing has made me appreciate my iphone more. The bb UI is horrid, it takes 2 extra clicks to do anything, and the physical keyboard is actually harder to use than the iphone's keyboard (though I may get more used to it).

4. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

I don't know. I'm also looking at a BB 7250, which is an older model but it's very nice.

5. slashjunior macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. You have to use that stupid click-wheel to go through the menu's, the whole interface is ugly to use and where BlackBerry used to have an advantage they have no longer. I find the keyboard on the Pearl awkward, which wasn't the case on the old BlackBerry. After using any phone now I am glad going back to the iPhone. The iPhone camera is actually very good at taking pictures if you have good lighting. I took some pictures yesterday at the park, uploaded them to Facebook and they turned out as good as a point and shoot digital camera, I was really impressed. Just make sure the subject is still, although I have yet to find a camera phone with a faster shutter speed.

What quality control are you talking of? The iPhone is an extremely durable phone, it can take a lot of punishment as long as it doesn't land face first on concrete, but which phone would?! lol. The only problem I have had is with the silence/ringer switch which can fall off...

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Oh wow, iPhone all the way.

Unless you have a specific reason to get the BB (lots of BB messenger friends, specific work things, etc.) you'll never love the BB like you would love the iPhone. It just isn't as much fun. At all.

7. nima macrumors member

nima

gwet the iphone...the end

8. denm316 macrumors 6502

I sold my iPhone 3G and bought a BB Curve. I have never been happier, stop believing the Sheep and the iHype machine. Apple still makes a great Operating System and Computers, but the phone is horrid.

9. GNice macrumors 6502

I have a BB Pearl through my employer...do yourself a big favor and get the iPhone!

10. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

The iphone, hands down, you will use the iphone and not want to go back

11. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

The thing about the iPhone is the pricetag, quite frankly. Before you jump to conclusions and say that OMG I MUST BE POOR ITS ONLY 199 ZOMGWTFLOL I must remind you that I am still under contract with my current provider. To get an iPhone 3G right now, I'm looking at $514. How do I figure that? TELUS loves cancellation fees. So instead of having the flat $175 like the rest, they charge $20 for every month remaining in the contract. And once it gets to a hundred dollars, it stops going down. So:

14 months in the contract........$280
    iPhone 3G 8GB......................$199
    Activation fees on Rogers........$35
    My sanity..............................priceless.

For everything else, there's staying with your current carrier and getting a BlackBerry. (And Visa).

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wait.

You're in the middle of a contract? How is this even a conversation then?

It doesn't sound like you're DYING for an iPhone, anyway - so why would you THROW AWAY $500?

13. shadie macrumors member

I have a Pearl and an iPod Touch.

I used to use the Pearl for music, games, video, google maps, gmail, MSN, reading documents or ebooks, SSH and browsing the web. I still do use it for some functions that the Touch cannot handle (Mobipocket, Microsoft Project)

After a week using the Touch I can see the advantages of getting an iPhone but until it's email and document support matures I have to keep the BB for when I'm away from the office.

14. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

Why would I throw away $500? Ask all those people who bought an iPhone on June 29th, 2007. :p

In reality, if you're a loyal customer who has been through a lot of crap (=me) it's pretty easy to get out of a contract. I know many people who have. Call royalty and retention, tell them your experience, more often than not you'll get a reward. Sometimes a phone discount, Many times out of contract, Most of the time a phone discount.

I have an iPod touch, and I would love an iPhone because it combines the two devices, and I could sell my iPod touch. Right now, one of the reasons I hate my phone, is it's an LG shine. Completely metal. Very heavy. The iPod touch - also very heavy.

It's very nice to have those devices combined. I had a Motorola Q and it was absolute garbage, but it was still nice to have a physical keyboard. I find the iPod touch keyboard nice but somewhat difficult to use. Really, It's a matter of should I combine them and deal with the crappy keyboard, or deal with 2 devices and enjoy the keyboard. When I had the Motorola Q, I did emails lots and enjoyed it.