BB questions -- 1.59.0 vs current

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by qsl, Apr 21, 2011.

1. qsl macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide whether to move to the current BB or keep my 1.59.0 when I move to 4.3.2. I've tried googling this and searching the forums but can't come with an answer, so I'm turning to the collective wisdom here: aside from future unlocking ability, are there other reasons to keep 1.59.0? I've read that some intermediate levels of BB have signal issues compared to 1.59.0, but I can't tell if those are finally fixed now or now.

So, assuming unlocking isn't a consideration (I'm on AT&T now, will be for the foreseeable future, and might be willing to lose the potential resale value), do I want to keep 1.59.0? This wouldn't be a question except for the issues that seem to surround 1.59.0 on 4.3.2 -- I don't use MMS much (but don't want to lose it completely), but I do use VVM constantly, and I do want my signal bars to be right. If there's a reasonable way to fix all the issues with 1.59.0 I'd rather keep it, of course.

I'm on 4.1 / 1.59.0 right now.

Thanks!

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If you don't need an unlock and don't care about the resale value an unlockable iphone retains, then there's no reason to stay at 01.59.00 - Ultrasn0w does fix the signal strength issues, but it does introduce VVM and MMS problems. I find ejecting and reinserting the SIM fixes the VVM and MMS issues, but they usually (not always) disappear again after a reboot.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The only way you could know that you don't need an unlock is if you're psychic. And if you are, I'd like the powerball numbers for Friday's drawing. :D
    Otherwise, you don't know if you'll be traveling to another country or moving to another country--however unfathomable it may seem right now.
    If you want to upgrade, 4.2.1 has got some good features. Sure, I'd love to enable tetherme's hotspot in 4.3.x, but I prefer to have a working, unlocked phone when I travel to Vancouver later this year.

4. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Same boat here. I just updated to 4.3.2 last night and kept my 1.59 BB intact. The 1 signal bar issue is annoying, but at least MMS and VV work. The latest ultrasn0w does not seem to work with 4.3.2 so it doesn't fix the signal bar issue, although there is a 3rd party fix that works in conjunction with it. This does fix the signal bars, but I loose MMS and VV.

I really wonder what these BB updates include besides just patching unlock holes. Do they improve call connection quality as far as dropped calls or what? There has to be more to it.

I wish the dev team would just come out with a separate fix for the signal bar issue for us people who don't need an unlock right now. If there isn't one soon, I think I might just suck it up and update to the latest BB.

5. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

If you refer to the history of iOS wiki, there's some references to bug fixes within the baseband releases over time. Granted, they're probably minor fixes, but they're there nonetheless:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

With that said, if you don't see a compelling need to update to the latest baseband, my advice is try to stick with 1.59.0 if you can. If the hackers can't properly fix the 1 bar issue (without losing VM amd MMS), I might eventually say "screw it" and do a full update (iOS and baseband) instead of preserving my 1.59.0 baseband on my next update. Given 4.2.1 with the 1.59.0 bb has been working so well for me, I'm still undecided on upgrading to 4.3.2 -- I'll likely give it some more time before deciding.

6. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

Is it fairly easy to downgrade the os? I just upgraded to 4.3.2 and have the old baseband and having lots of issues with connection stability etc.

7. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I have a ip4 on 4.3.2 with 1.59.00 and fix the signal bar issue with ultrasn0w fixer for 4.3.2, no problem with the voicemail, also I did a network reset after the ultrasn0w fix.

8. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Until I hear folks on the boards consistently say they aren't losing VM and MMS after a reset, I'll do the upgrade. Unfortunately, seemingly too much inconsistency right now.

9. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind baseband 1.59.00 is pretty old, relatively speaking. I'm of the mindset that newer baseband revisions do more than just stop a software unlock vulnerability, but Apple doesn't publicly put out release notes on the baseband updates.

I can understand wanting to keep that old baseband to stay unlocked via software, and for higher resale value, but personally I've decided the hell with it. I'm going to run the latest baseband, and use a hardware unlock solution if/when I really need to - which isn't often.

10. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Before recently upgrading to 4.3, then downgrading back to 4.01....i was on 4.01 since it came out.

I notice zero difference good or bad with the new baseband. i'm on 4.01 with the new 4.10 BB now.

11. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Leaning towards this mindset also. I'll probably give it a week or two and see what the dev team comes up with. If not I'll just update my baseband.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.3.2, with 1.59.xx baseband, using Ultrasn0w fixer and Ultrasn0w 1.2.1

I have SMS, MMS and VVM working on AT&T without any issue.

13. scotty588, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

scotty588 macrumors 6502

Hmm oddly enough I just installed ultrasn0w + ultrasn0w fixer and tested SMS, VV and MMS and everything came through.

edit: noticed some sluggishness so I rebooted. Tested again and MMS is not working.