BB user adjusting to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robothero, May 28, 2009.

1. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

So later this summer I'll finally be making the jump from BlackBerry to iPhone. I've sorta been on this kick for the past 9 months or so about getting rid of clutter and consolidation, so I sold off my 5th gen 30gb iPod (amongst other things) and am planning on getting the new iPhone whenever it's released to aid on that journey.

Now, I've been using a BlackBerry for the past 3 years, so I'm really used to the way they function, but I'm hoping to get some feedback from those of you who are BB converts yourself, or have experience with both platforms on what's similar, what's vastly different, what kind of options should I enable/disable to I guess make the transition easier.

If the thread fills up with lots of good information, I'll update this post with all of the suggestions/feedback for any other jumpers who happen across it in the future.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As a former and current BB user, I missed the push e-mail, that's about it. Copy and paste were a thing as well.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean (an old BB user here), I get my emails both personal and corporate on my iPhone just as fast as on my client, i.e., the iPhone has push email.

4. OriginalMasta macrumors member

I've used a blackberry 8820 I recall for about 25 days before I got this iPhone 3G. Let me say that it's a good quality phone. BUT compared to iPhone's apps alone, it doesn't stand a chance.

Emails are lame compared to the iPhone (the way it's presented rocks on the iPhone). Everything else about the blackberry is so overrated.

I'll tell you what I did miss - not having to pay $150+ for a family share plan that includes the iPhone and it's rip off data plan. Not to forget that ridiculous $30 text message plan for family package.

I did try out a bb bold - again, a wickedly fast phone but lacks the appeal of the iPhone.

Everytime I think about leaving the iPhone, I come back to it even after trying out samsung phones, lg phones, Blackberries. Sorry, but the iPhone is really a hit for me.

:)

5. robothero thread starter macrumors 6502

robothero

I already know what the iPhone is capable of ;)

I was more looking for things where I would say "oh, I'm used to doing this task X way, but the iPhone does it Y way." I guess an example would be that I have a flashing light on the top of my phone when I've missed a call or have an email waiting etc. but the iPhone doesn't have this (although the new one might)

jessica. I thought the iPhone did have push email, or is it just the way it functions that you miss from the BB?

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm not a BB user (never have been) and even I could go for some BBM lovin' on the iPhone.

God I hope we get a persistent chat/presence solution sometime soon ...

7. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

It's not really a substitute for an LED notifier (which I would love), but I would highly recommend jailbreaking and installing statusnotifier, which will put an icon in the statusbar when you have a new email or SMS. Currently if your phone is locked and you receive an email, you have no way of knowing unless you hear the ding or feel the vibration, or unlock the phone to check. With statusnotifier at least you can tell when you get an email. I'd also recommend intelliscreen, which will actually put the body of the email on the lockscreen (along with other cool things).

The iPhone only has true push email for certain kinds of accounts (MobileMe, yahoo, exchange). other accounts can only fetch at certain intervals (though to be honest, my gmail account doesn't follow the fetch schedule and grabs emails almost instantaneously).

8. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I used a BB from 2003 - early this year. The transition is actually easy. As others said here, the push email is fine. I get my email as easy as I did with my BB. The presentation is much better on the iPhone, regardless of what some diehard BB fans will say. The iPhone is also more rugged than folks say. I've dropped a BB, and it smashes just as easy; it's made of plastic too.

I'll agree with one other here, when I wish the iPhone had an "iPhone - iPhone" chat/IM feature. I cannot understand why iChat was never ported, other than opposition from the carrier's who would lose $$$.

9. robothero thread starter macrumors 6502

robothero

Thanks Crzy, that's really helpful info. I'm still researching the whole jailbreak thing to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before deciding if I want to go through with it, but I'll have to check that out if/when I do. Is there a "must-visit" site for jailbreaking stuff?

And yeah, even though I didn't know many BB users, BBM was so great.

10. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I just converted a month ago..the biggest issue is the keyboard. I am getting used to it. Lucky i am 3.0 beta 5 ...3.0 has landscape makes it a lot easier to type.

The biggest difference. Its the BB favour. On the BB the is a message icon. click on it, and you can see every sort of contact. missed calls, sms text and email all in one place.

I phone different places for all those items. Not a big deal but still its in the BB favour.

The other thing is having lists on the home screen. I could see who called, followed by appointments etc all on the home screen, Iphone does not have that.

The Iphone is 10 times better for web browsing, and reading emails. It is presented nicely.

From a business point of view the BB has the lead. From the i wanna be like the cool kids.. the iphone wins.

I probably should not have made the switch...But, Im glad i did.. i do love the Iphone. and now im in the cool group.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Got got a BB; good stuff; probably won't go to Apple now; got the unlimited international data plan as well :)