BBC goes to the dogs (Microsoft at work!)

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Virgil-TB2, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Am I the only one that's upset about the changes (basically dozens of really annoying blinky ads), to the BBC website?

I live in Canada, but I grew up on the Beeb and have visited the BBC News website first thing in the morning almost everyday since they started. Yesterday I deleted my bookmarks for BBC News and sent them a letter telling them why I no longer will be visiting their site.

I know lots of sites have adverts, but the BBC mostly publicly funded and is breaking a long, long tradition of never having adverts.

And why so many? And on the Front Page? And all animated? They have gone from zero adverts to what looks like sucking up about 45% of the screen real estate overnight! ARgh! :mad:

I can't help but think that this has something to do with the fact that all those Microsoft executives now run things over there.

Attached Files:

2. gifford macrumors 6502

gifford

I couldnt agree more.
    I was practically addicted to the BBC channel and website, now I couldnt give a damn if the whole thing was scrapped.
    The programing has become extremely poor, and it is now just a propaganda tool for the government coupled with an extremely PC and left wing agenda.

Every time I turn TV on the BBC try telling me how to lead my life, what I should and should not be doing.
    I dont want that in a TV station, I want entertainment and facts, strait up facts not bent truths, and dubious statistics to make me act like a model citizen.

I certainly dont wish to be forced to pay for it. Lets hope these adverts are the beginning of the end, or a new beginning of what was once a great TV broadcaster.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I think if you go to bbc from anywhere other than the UK, you will now see ads.

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

That's strange, I don't see ads over from my end. I guess it's based on countries.

6. gifford macrumors 6502

gifford

I forgot to mention the utterly crap Mac support, and MSFT centric technologies they insist on using. Not exactly an open non bias public service!

It's like two old dinosaurs watching a comet streak overhead.

7. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

In all fairness I've noticed just how anti-Apple the Beeb seems to be... its like they have an agreement with Microsoft to bash Apple at any opportunity that arises. The Leopard release was extremely sombre, the report was boring (which was entitled 'Leopard: Does it roar or whimper') and the explained Time Machine as a 'utility that rolls the computer back to a previous configuration' in an attempt to make it look like Windows did it first and make Leopard look like a non-issue.

When they are not doing that they are very quick to point its flaws the current front page of the BBC's technology section is a 28 paragraph report entitled 'End of the innocence for Mac fans' on the new trojan virus we're not having and a similar one about the firewall problem. :mad:

One of my favourite quotes is when they describe Macs as 'the things'... can't find the link now...

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Indeed fugly.

I used to visit BBC News several times a day, but since they're much slower to report news than CNN and even MSNBC I quit going. I would imagine the ads be heavily criticized if displayed to British visitors--their only real audience.

9. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

Anybody accessing the BBC website from an international ISP will see the adverts. All pages sent to UK ISP's will be advert free as UK users pay for the BBC services through the licence fee.

I do agree that some of the adverts i've seen do look pretty crap. I would much prefer a Google type textual advert rather than the Flash based monstrosities. Having said that, they only seem to appear on the main page. If you select any story, the adverts disappear until you go back to the main page.

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

bbcamerica.com doesn't get any.

Here's the faq page and quotes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/faq/

It's not Microsoft, it's because you're in Canada. :)

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The BBC's international television services have had adverts for over thirty years. Outside of the UK where there's no licence fee why shouldn't something be done to pay for the costs?

Then you'd be wrong.

Phazer