BBC iPlayer 2.0 And iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trevreyno, Jun 26, 2008.

1. trevreyno macrumors member

The BBC has just released a new version of their iPlayer .

Although still in beta, its due to run along side the old site untill 7th July. The beeb has done us iPhone owners proud again! -the new version looks brilliant on the iPhone.:D

You get the feeling most of the people working on this project are Mac fans and iPhone users.

All we need now is downloading for the Mac:)

2. herodian macrumors member

just checked. looks MUCh better than before. actually usable now.

i wonder if 3G will allow watching this on cellular?

3. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I hope so but can't see it happening, think how much data you would use to watch one half our program??????? then think of 100,000 02 users watching it at the same time on their way to work in the morning

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7336940.stm
    makes interesting reading

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Very unlikely - O2's terms and conditions prevent it anyway.

Hopefully the radio player will work soon though...

Phazer

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It'll probably work.. after all O2 themselves stream video (currently only via rtsp streams though that the iphone doesn't support - hopefully they'll add quicktime streams).

If you were to read the T&C literally even using Youtube is against them.. can't see them enforcing those clauses unless you take the smeg. If you keep your overall data usage sane I can't see them looking too closely.

One thing you can be sure of - loads of new iphone users will immediately begin using the iplayer along with other streaming services (because hardly anyone reads T&C) so they're going to have to deal with the 'problem' either by cutting thousands of people of, blocking the site, or living wth it.

6. tiguk macrumors 6502

Until we see the O2 T's & C's we won't know the answer to that one, but it would be awesome if this was available...... That's my commute sorted then!

7. Base13 macrumors newbie

Does iPlayer allow you to download programmes to the iPhone? Or is it streaming only?

I would love to be able to download something, then watch it in my lunch hour at work.

8. tiguk macrumors 6502

Sounds like a perfect App. The BBC are looking to implement downloadable iPlayer on many platforms, so I don't see why this shouldn't be one of them.

9. alFR macrumors 68020

Actually, all we need now is them to put all the iplayer content on itunes (as free rentals, perhaps, if they're worried about people keeping the shows) so we can play them on Apple TV. Or iPhone. Or our macs.

10. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Am very impressed, it's so new they haven't even added a bookmark yet! People should be sure to give positive feedback to the Beeb because you can guarantee that a bunch of miserable naysayers will be whining about them favouring Apple products.

11. iMachine macrumors newbie

I'm sure I have read somewhere that the BBC have blocked the iPlayer from being accessed from the O2 mobile network on O2's request, presumably to prevent excessive data traffic. Indeed I think that O2 threatened to block access to the iPlayer themselves if the BBC didn't comply with their request :eek:

Surely O2 ought to allow some form of iPlayer access - their network ought to be made capable of withstanding such usage; after all this is the 21st century.

At least if someone could provide an iPhone WMA audio stream player then you could listen to BBC radio stations live (unless those streams have been blocked as well).

12. trevreyno thread starter macrumors member

Totally agree-makes faster data access via 3G pretty pointless if your unable to stream media.

I thought the so called "3G revolution" that we were promised a couple of years ago meant we were supposed to have access to streaming media via our mobile phones?.

Slightly faster loading web pages only don't really cut it.

It will be interesting to see how 02 handle this one.

13. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i second that!

though i'll need to buffer ahead because as soon as i hit baron's court it's underground till i get off at South Ken

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The BBC asked. Apple said they weren't interested since there was no money in it.

Phazer

15. Project macrumors 68020

Was you involved in the discussions? If not, a link?

Theres plenty of free content on iTunes for me not to believe that. Free apps on the AppStore, iTunes U, Podcasts, free premiere episodes of TV series and so on.

And it creates a compelling reason to stay with the iPod ecosystem as the content will be ladened with FairPlay.

16. davidjtaylor07 macrumors member

iplayer radio on iphone even using edge!

Just found this on iplayer, i selected radio, then picked a radio podcast (chris moyles show for example) and then download podcast and it then played right on the iphone. i thought you could only download podcasts in itunes, even playeed using EDGE.
    d

17. retroneo macrumors 6502a

The iPhones supports RTSP streaming. The Youtube feature on the iPhone streams h.264 encoded mp4s via rtsp.

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

A little.

Yep, we thought that was "interesting" - though the reality is that the bandwidth free apps on the iTunes store will use up in a year is about what iPlayer uses per day, if that.

Podcasts aren't distributed by Apple - they just collect the RSS feeds. They come from other people's servers. Same with iTunes U IIRC.

And hence those services don't get Fairplay. For example, music rights are probably *just about* doable for most UK broadcasters for programme downloads if there's timed expiry DRM. You could get podcasts with the music back in (as long as they expire after a few days)!

Podcast producers have asked for that for years. Apple has always refused to give it to them.

They're considered promo bits to get people to buy the rest of the season.

You would think. But given the bandwidth implications it needs to be tied into a peer to peer system like the Windows iPlayer is (to do otherwise is a breach of bbc.co.uk's service licence from the BBC Trust), so it will have to sit outside of iTunes, at least to download the files in the first place. And sitting outside of iTunes is somewhere Apple doesn't want Fairplay to be.

Phazer

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Since the podcasts are mp3's anyway, the iPhone will stream them.

You can only *download* them in iTunes - but you can stream podcasts on the iPhone fine if the website is configured to let you.

Phazer

20. ne0star macrumors regular

How do you know what tv programmes are iphone compatible? I clicked on a few of the popular ones such as topgear, and none of the played.

21. alFR macrumors 68020

Sorry, I don't understand this - can you expand a bit on why it would breach the licence to have direct downloads?

22. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Good informative post, Phazer. It's a shame Apple is resisting this, as the iTunes/iPod/iPhone/AppleTV eco-system really would make sense as a consumer (licence fee payer) friendly means of distributing content. The free rentals idea, or time limited drmd files, would help Apple if you ask me - if I went to iTunes as a matter of course to catch up on BBC programmes, I'd be much more likely to go there next time I wanted to rent a film.
    In the mean time, we can always do as Stephen Fry does...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/thefuture/transcript_fry.shtml
    edit: I realise the Fry speech is quite long - the bit about iPlayer is on page 3, and includes things such as

23. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

Will we ever see live radio streaming to the iPhone/iPod Touch so we can listen to the radio? At the moment its only available as a REAL or WMP stream.

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They should all be save for technical problems.

Phazer

25. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

i Just want downloads on the mac version. My DSL is only 512Kbps (or 0.5 Mb) and trying to stream from iplayer is painfull, load for 5 mins watch 2, load another 5, watch 2, oops iphone went to sleap, wake it, have to restart stream, same on my imac, without the sleep thing. its dismal.

WE WANT DOWNLOADS FOR MAC! Personally I'm not fussed about DL's on iphone if i can get them to my mac.