BBC iPlayer Available on iPad UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vip, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Vip macrumors regular

Vip

Hey all - go to apps store and download!

Finally something for the UK users that no one else has :D:D:D:D:D

2. WasBeen macrumors newbie

Well, At least two of us are pleased.

Just as I was going-off buying an iPad2, I'm now interested again.

3. john.burn macrumors member

It's nice but... doesn't support airplay, can't believe they didn't add that!

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

moan moan moan moan moan :D

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Just tried it using my 3 3G connection - not working. Apparently requires WIFI or a "supported mobile data network".

Hmmm... at least I can still view the iPlayer webapp over 3G.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Excellent, ill get this when i get home.....

All we need now is a 4od and a tvcatchup one :rolleyes:

7. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is quite awesome!

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

I dont think Airplay API's have been made available for 3rd party devs yet...... i think thats in the next update ;)

9. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Would be nice to have a native app for appletv.

LOL.

I think I'll stick to xbmc for now.

10. afd macrumors 6502a

Downloaded it this evening looks excellent, very easy to browse channels and days. Nothing I've wanted to watch has worked though…
    iPlayer's servers must be taking a hit tonight, which maybe shows how popular the app has been. Maybe this'll help persuade apple to allow an iplayer app on ATV2?
    Would like to be able to download programmes though.
    Fingers crossed it gets better.

11. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Haven't downloaded it yet; is still streaming only, or does it allow you to download programs for watching later? I wouldn't mind being able to download programs for watching when I'm travelling.....

12. Ciganka macrumors newbie

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has tried using av out cables with this ap?? Anyone know if they are supported?

13. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Is this for British phone owners or can we use it for BBC in America? I'd love to be able to watch Downton Abbey on it:D

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

British only as we all have to pay a Licence Fee which pays for these programs to be made in the 1st place. Although technically you don't need a licence to watch iPlayer, but the British Public still pay for it all to be made.

As far as I've heard there will be a worldwide version produced soon but it will be a subscription based version I believe, though not sure how it will work.

15. Scuby macrumors regular

It can't possibly support AirPlay until iOS 4.3 - i'd be surprised if there wasn't an update shortly after that's released.

First impressions are ok. Seems a bit more resilient than the website, in the sense of not dropping the video so much, and if it does it can usually recover again - with the website i often had to quit the video and go back in and find where i left off.

Downloadable programmes would be an obvious feature, and I (like many others no doubt) hope that will make an appearance once they're happy that the basic app is stable and popular.

I also hope that this may be a sign that the BBC may be working with Apple on an AppleTV app too, or at least shows they have something that would be easy to port across if AppleTV does get apps in the future.

David

16. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Nope, it does not support AV cables. Tried that one last night. I emailed the iplayer help page, so fingers crossed that it will be updated. It's a great app and much better than using the web based version, but the lack of AV out really limits the uses of it for me.

17. rcp27 macrumors regular

Downton Abbey was made for ITV, not the BBC, so even if you had had it, Downton wouldn't be on it. What irritates me is that there is no way at all for those of us stuck in foreign land to use the iPlayer at all. I'd happily pay a subscription to be able to access it, and my cable provider here carries most of the BBC channels anyway (so presumably they pay the BBC part of my cable subscription to cover the cost), but if I happen to go out, no iPlayer catch up. Same goes for 4OD and whatever the ITV version is, but apart from Downton, I don't particularly watch the commercial stations much.

PS am I the only one who keeps wanting to call it Downtown Abbey?

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Your wish is granted. The BBC plans to roll out an iPad-only paid-subscription service for International users later this year. Its worth noting that the BBC (like Netflix here in the US) chose to support the iPad rather than PC (or Android) because it offers far superior DRM capability. (What DRM taketh away with one hand...)

And, no, you certainly AREN'T the only one who accidentally refers to it as Downtown Abbey.

19. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Yes. This needs to happen, as well having LoveFilm.co.UK on aTV as well.

20. shandyman Suspended

no 3rd party apps do airplay video yet, as this comes with iOS 4.3 so kind of a pointless complaint at the moment.... :p

21. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

I can still complain about the lack of AV Cable out though :p