BBC iPlayer Error

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rotara, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Rotara macrumors member

Help!!! Was working perfectly until earlier today, but now my iPhone will not play any BBC iPlayer content. It just comes up with "Error Playing Movie" message everytime. Tried it on several WiFi networks and carried out a Network Reset, but still no joy. I know it's nothing to do with the BBC as my friend has an iPod Touch and putting the devices side-by-side his worked and mine didn't.!! Any Help appreciated.

2. J400uk macrumors regular

Having exactly the same problem here. Holding my iPod touch 1.1.4 and iPhone 1.1.4, both jailbroken using ZiPhone, next to each other on same WiFi the ipod will play videos on iPlayer but the iPhone wont.

Anyone else with same problem or a solution?

3. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

4. afd macrumors 6502a

having problems with iplayer on my mum's ipod touch, clicking on a programme, the QuickTime logo appears, then the picture of the programme, but the wee blue play button doesn't appear. Strangely my iPhone works fine, and that's using same wifi. Tried a trailer from apple site on touch and that worked fine. Have also done a software restore from iTunes. Both devices are aren't jailbroken (if that's a word) and are 1.1.4

5. J400uk macrumors regular

Perhaps jailbraking or unlocking of 1.1.4 is somehow causing "error playing movie" mesage then?

6. tonywob, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Strange use of lang wedge.

You guys sure you are connected succesfully to a wifi network? It dont work with edge yo.

Brill.

8. olivertom macrumors newbie

Mine won't work either (1.26pm)

1.1.4 unlocked jailbroken with ziphone 3.0

maybe it's down?

9. afd macrumors 6502a

Am fairly certain that my mum's iPod touch wasn't connected over EDGE ....

10. tonywob, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  11. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

A fair point eloquently made.

x x x

12. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking, unlocking and pwning your iPhone brakes the BBC iPlayer.

13. J400uk macrumors regular

Im confused as to what is causing it. If a jailbroken touch is able to use iPlayer then it must be either Unlocking or (ZiPhone) Activating thats causing it not to work.

14. RodBanner macrumors newbie

iNothing

The problem stems from the jailbreaking - I have one broken and another vanilla. The question I would like to ask is what have we all installed? Is it a rogue application? Or is it the BBC spanking us for being bad bunnies?:rolleyes: Can anyone be bothered to do a full reset and see what happens?

15. J400uk macrumors regular

Yes but on a 1.1.4 touch jailbroken, iPlayer works fine, which is why I think its something to do with the unlocking or activation perhaps.

16. d900man macrumors regular

d900man

I have just tried the BBC iplayer site and watched the apprentice and it works fine for me. I'm using a 1.1.4 iplus 2.0 jailbroken unlocked and activated iPhone

Hope u get it working people

17. say33d macrumors newbie

Just figured it out ;)

i was having the smae problem with the error messages. All you have to do is go to settings>general>reset and hit 'reset all settings'

this will wipe all your phone settings e.g ringtones etc but will keep all your media files as they are.

Phone should reboot after the reset and iplayer should work as normal

hope this helps

18. djellison macrumors 68020

Ntthing to do with jailbreaking. My 32gb IPT (totally un hacked) is doing the same thing. A brief flash of a QT logo, then just an image - no play button.

Resetting all settings has made no difference.

Doug

19. say33d macrumors newbie

strange....resetting all setting fixed the problem for my iphone and my sisters. we did also clear all safari history, cookies and cache too....maybe you could try that before resetting. thats all i did and it started to work again, i was having the same problem as you before that.

20. J400uk macrumors regular

Reseting and clearing cookies, cache and history not worked for me :( (8gb iPhone 1.1.4 JB Unlckd Activated using ZiPhone)

21. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not having any problems on mine at the moment (newest firmware, not jailbroken at all).

Phazer

22. RodBanner macrumors newbie

Complete reset

If you did a complete reset, did you do a restore from your Mac? I'm loath to do this with my 'broken machine' for fear it might cause problems elsewhere.... :rolleyes:

23. J400uk macrumors regular

Nope havent restored from mac just did a reset on iphone.

I'm wondering if the modified/downgraded bootloader that ZiPhone installs on the iPhone could be what is causing the problems? Not sure how one would go about changing it though.

24. thenaylor macrumors newbie

I had the same problem but have sorted it out.

You have to go into settings>general>reset>reset network settings.
    Then re-enter your network password and it should work.
    It was really bugging me.

25. RodBanner macrumors newbie

Tried resetting the network...

And nothing has changed. No movies. Still see the programme image and the play button. When I click it the Quicktime logo flashes for a second and then the message "Error playing movie".
    You Tube works fine.