BBC iPlayer for iOS Adds Handoff Support and Spotlight Search

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBC's iPlayer app has been updated for iOS users in the UK today, bringing added support for Spotlight search and Apple's Handoff feature.

Users of the app can now directly search for TV programs from their home screen by activating Spotlight search with a swipe down gesture, while the addition of Handoff support enables viewers to pick up where they left off when switching to another iOS device.

The update also patches a bug that led to the app crashing on launch for some users, and adds a full catalog of iPlayer programs to the channel page via the A-Z option.

The UK broadcaster recently brought its iPlayer app to Apple TV after initially stating it had no plans to make the service available on the platform.

BBC iPlayer is a free download for users in the UK. [Direct Link]

Article Link: BBC iPlayer for iOS Adds Handoff Support and Spotlight Search

Reactions: appledefenceforce

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Spotlight searching for a bbc program isn't working for me after this update. Anyone else able to get it to work?
It wasn't working for me either last night when I updated. Just tried it again with some programme titles that should return a match, and - nothing…

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
Wasn't working for me until I closed the app in multitasking and reopened.
Does this update work with Apple TV universal search? Haven't had a chance to try it yet

Reactions: orbital~debris

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Great news as I use BBC iPlayer to watch programmes after they've aired.

Part of me does wonder if the BBC will force people to purchase a TV Licence even if they don't watch/record any form of live TV with additions such as this.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Without the law changing first, they can't.
Well that under review this year.
[doublepost=1454685984][/doublepost]i've not got spotlight to work for my on my ipad for iplayer unless I've already viewed the programme in question.
So I go to say, QI in iPlayer - drop to homescreen and then searching in spotlight it views QI.
Not as intuitive as I expected.

reece1605

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
I can also confirm that it ONLY works for programs already viewed in the bbc I player app. Not helpful unless wanting to rewatch something already watched!

It doesn't work in any other way for anything else, even when closed from multi tasking etc.

spottypaws

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Wasn't working for me until I closed the app in multitasking and reopened.
Does this update work with Apple TV universal search? Haven't had a chance to try it yet
They wrote on the iPlayer blog that they are currently working on Siri search for TvOs

Tim_uk

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
According to BBC, Spotlight search has indeed been enabled, but it takes a little while to be fully populated.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
UK
The gulf between iPlayer on the iPhone/iPad and the Apple TV app is gargantuan. I hope the ATV app isn't left to languish in its current super basic state. It's the worst big screen iPlayer app on any modern platform by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.