BBC iPlayer (Global)- the future of TV

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by needthephone, Oct 4, 2011.

1. needthephone, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

needthephone macrumors 6502a

I finally have the BBC iPlayer and it's a joy to watch the best TV in the world in Australia. OK I'm from the UK but quite honestly the BBC produces the best TV on earth and I've lived in the US and now Australia.

Well that aside the iPlayer app does have it's teething problems but it can only get better. no AirPlay support yet but it works well with the HDMI adapter. It does have buffeting issues sometimes but 90% of the time it works fine.

we spent the long weekend here in Sydney watching full series of new and classic BBC shows. No other TV production comes close, seriously.

I paid th $90 annual subscription gladly and I hope this revenue generated guarantees the future of the BBC which always faces Government cutbacks. I know people in the UK moan about the paltry license fee but seriously it's money well spent if you compare it to the general crap Australian TV.

I have cancelled our local Cable TV foxtel and I can see this being used as a model for other TV companies to expand globally. More power to the Beeb though and they promise more and more shows will be added.

This one app justifies my iPad compleatly:):)

2. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The tv version wasn't available when I lived in NZ but iPlayer is a great and wondrous thing. Was streaming Outnumbered direct to my TV through my freeview box last night.

Listen online and radio catchup kept me sane when I lived there.

3. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The tv version wasn't available when I lived in NZ but iPlayer is a great and wondrous thing. Was streaming Outnumbered direct to my TV through my freeview box last night.

Listen online and radio catchup kept me sane when I lived there.

4. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I certainly agree with the title.
    I use BBC Iplayer over all the others.

5. d5tryr macrumors newbie

Agreed. It really is an amazing service and noble that they're even willing to try and navigate the legal midfield of international usage rights. I hope that airplay does arrive, but for now I'm just happy that I'm using a subscription service that doesn't bundle in a bunch of crap I would never want to watch (see foxtel).

6. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I believe it on its way.

7. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

In what countries is OT available? How does it work. I downloaded the iPlayer app from the UK App store but it does not work in my country. Any help?

8. monaisc macrumors newbie