Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I've never used it, but I've heard nothing but bad things about iPlayer. Unfortunately this use of Flash means it can't be used on an iPhone...

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
2 big problems with this:

1. It's flash, so it will be slow, not an app, and won't run on an iPhone.

2. You won't be able to download a high quality file, possibly weeks before playing it. You will only be able to stream it directly.

Not a great solution, but a solution it is.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Sounds to me like they're doing the minimum possible to live up to their obligations from the board of trustees. They are offering an iPlayer service to non-PC-users, but they are not offering the iPlayer service.

Can someone more technically literate than me please explain why only Microsoft makes appropriate DRM for them to use? Is their excuse really true that there's no-one else (commercial or open source) who can offer an equivalent service that would work on Macs?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
2 big problems with this:

1. It's flash, so it will be slow, not an app, and won't run on an iPhone.

2. You won't be able to download a high quality file, possibly weeks before playing it. You will only be able to stream it directly.

Not a great solution, but a solution it is.
Well the Windows version is basically IE with a few additions. But I think the iPlayer on the iPhone will be more upto Apple than the BBC (will they allow the BBC to develop an the App for it).

I can download youtube videos and play them on my PC. Plus flash can now use H.264 as a video codec.

I personally don't think this is that bad.

Can someone more technically literate than me please explain why only Microsoft makes appropriate DRM for them to use? Is their excuse really true that there's no-one else (commercial or open source) who can offer an equivalent service that would work on Macs?
With the Windows version of iPlayer, the BBC are basically repacking an existing video delivery system (Channel 40D and Sky use the same system). So it is a lot cheaper than developing their own system.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I pay a TV Licence and am a Mac User... why shouldn't I be allowed to use this service I am afterall paying for! Flash stinks. Give us a proper fully fledged app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.