BBC iPlayer - not work on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomacwhite, Jul 1, 2009.

1. tomacwhite macrumors regular

I've just gone to try and see if iPlayer works on the 3GS (I live in the UK) and although the site switches to what looks like a proper iPhone interface, it wont actually play any programme. I can choose it, and it gives me a screen shot plus a description of the show, but it doesn't do anything else.

There is no option to play or anything, so does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. matttye macrumors 601

The iPhone doesn't support adobe flash, which iPlayer uses.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The iPhone version of iPlayer does not use Flash. You have to wait for the little play icon to appear - when you load the show page it will display an image of the programme, and then a short time later a very small QuickTime play icon will appear. The icon is much smaller and looks different to the one you may be used to on the standard iPlayer website.

Remember, it is only accessible with WiFi.

4. tomacwhite thread starter macrumors regular

I am on Wifi and its still not doing anything.

It's just sat there on the programme screen for ages now and no "play" icon has appeared.

Weird.

5. tomacwhite thread starter macrumors regular

I seemed to have "Plugins" turned OFF in the Settings. Its playing now :)

Thanks.

6. Gorgeous666 macrumors newbie

Thanks for this post. Just spent half an hour of wasted time with apple support who tried to tell me that bbc iplayer was not supported on the iphone! I then came across this post and fixed the problem instantly.

Thanks again

7. moschops macrumors newbie

doesnt work for me!

I have the picture come up then i have the iplayer logo appear on the pic saying click to play,i do so and nothing happens.Any ideas?

8. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Javascript might be turned off. Go into Settings>Safari and see whether it's turned off. If it is, just slide the switch to ON.

9. stelensmith macrumors newbie

BBC iplayer

Yes , i agree with you .....bbc iplayer not work on phone because i phone doesn't have adobe flash, iplayer which bbc uses...

10. shandyman Suspended

Wrong, when you go to the BBC iPlayer it sends you to the iPhone compatible site, which doesn't use flash. This has already been said in the thread, so why resurrect it with incorrect information??

11. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Not to threat hijack, however any tips for how US iPhone users can use the iPlayer - whenever I try it says my location does not allow it.

Thanks

12. macsmurray macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Short of moving to the UK, it looks like you're not getting iplayer. I've tried a few things to get a friend in the US to get it but to no avail. But some smart person out there may have a solution :)

13. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Thanks Murray - I have a JB iPhone so wondering if those location faker things had helped anyone... :(

14. macsmurray macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No problem :) I hope you do get a solution soon :)

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

A VPN will work...

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

iPlayer doesn't use flash, it uses adobe air, which works on iDevices.

Also a BBC iPlayer app is on the way ;)

17. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Wow. So much confusion here.

iPlayer only uses flash on the desktop version of the website.
    It uses abobe air for the desktop application.
    And it doesn't use either on the iPhone. The iPhone version of the website is just a normal (non flash) site and the videos are streamed in MP4 format that the iPhone can play.

18. shandyman, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

shandyman Suspended

it's been on the way for nearly a year now, but then got delayed back in march when there was the whole issue about BBC working on this with the licence fee payers money along with the BBC News and BBC sport app. only the BBC news app has come out and there's been no news about the BBC sport or the iPlayer app since, as far as i have seen, so i'm currently wondering if they're actually going to release it at all since there is already a webapp for it.

Edit - Actually just read that apparantly it's due for next month, finally! thought bearing in mind they're removing radio from the iPlayer soon, it's going to be TV only sadly.

19. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Exactly.

It works fine.
    The URL is www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/

C.