BBC iPlayer over 3G (on Nokia N96...) also to include BBC radio?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tallyho, Sep 8, 2008.

1. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Just seen this on the BBC news website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7603606.stm

I guess the important bits are down at the bottom of the article:
    First the article mentions that BBC radio shows are on iPlayer - implying that these will be accessible on the N96? It's a bit ambiguous.

Secondly, and most pertinently:
    At the moment on O2 we just get:

Attached Files:

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Let BBC iPlayer work on 3G for iPhone 3G

This is annoying, but also potentially good news.

The BBC iPlayer on iPhone is currently pointless because I can only watch anything in my own home (on Wi-Fi) at which point I may as well turn on the TV or use my Mac.

If the N96 is going to have a dedicated player that "works on both Wi-Fi and 3G networks", I'm going to be annoyed if that functionality doesn't also come to the iPhone 3G.

In fact, the BBC has been so far pretty quiet on the iPhone development front. I'm hoping that they are working on a native version to release free through the App store that allows for 3G-only and Wi-Fi running.

I understand that downloadable content is only available to WMV at the moment, but they should at least allow for streaming over the 3G network.

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

The BBC has been far from quiet. iPlayer for the iPhone has gone through two versions in 6 months and they have had an iPhone optimised version of the podcasts area available from pretty early on that allowed streaming over EDGE.

I hope that we'll see TV over 3G but ultimately if O2 don't want this it won't happen. It's a hell of a lot of bandwidth and poor delivery would reflect badly on everyone.

4. tallyho thread starter macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Not according to Stephen Fry ;)

5. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Talking of iPlayer, the BBC have just under 4 months left to fulfil their promise of downloadable content for Mac users!

6. ay98182 macrumors member

I could swear that I had the iPlayer working on 3g about a month ago! I specifically turned off Wifi at home to check, and I remember it started playing!?

I tried again today and it came up with the message shown above - did the BBC suddenly disable the 3g streaming functionality? Or was I simply fooled into thinking that it was working over the mobile network since my WiFi had previously loaded a portion of the program?

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Sorry, but you probably just remember wrong...

BBC Radio for the iPhone has already been announced as coming shortly.

Phazer

8. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Probably the latter, unfortunately.

It will be interesting to see what happens here. The networks are already bitching about 'unreasonable usage'. I still don't know how YouTube fits into this, unless Apple negotiated a special waver for this, or no-one has used it so heavily that they've had a massive bill slapped on them yet. ;)