Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Steady on. It's streaming in Flash video only, no downloads.
Better than nothing though.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Now to get the full iPlayer software so we can download the programs like our windows counter parts.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Trying to watch Have I got news for you

Picture 2.png
:(:(

Edit:

Just had a play with it: seems to work really well. But no Top Gear?

Picture 3.png

Retired
May 16, 2006
Spoke too soon...only a few minutes into watching (the video is now working btw):

picture1af970.png

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
"Sorry, downloading BBC iPlayer programmes is currently only available for Windows"...hopefully it won't be long :)

It will be at least six months. According to the BBC Backstage podcast since Fairplay doesn't support timed expiry the only alternative possible provider of a DRM they've found is Adobe AIR, and for obvious reasons that means no Mac download service could launch until AIR itself is ready...

Phazer

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
No problems here.

Then....
I tried one episode of In The Night Garden and it worked fine, but then another episode threw up that message.:confused::confused::confused:

Must be temperamental.

Happened about 12 minutes into it and it would happen everytime at the same point for me. Annoying.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Absolutely terrible quality. Doesn't even have a full screen mode (without silly icons on the screen - that's what full screen means BBC). The whole iPlayer project has been a misguided waste of time and money.

I'll continue to get my time-shifted material from 'that other source' :)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Seems to work OK…
Pity about not being able to download and watch later as per Windows.

But I suspect the BBC are just going throught the motions and that 100% Mac suport will never be a priority.

Edit: Spoke too soon… 21 minutes into last night's Watchdog and then got the "Error" message. Oh well.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Seems to work OK…
Pity about not being able to download and watch later as per Windows.

But I suspect the BBC are just going throught the motions and that 100% Mac suport will never be a priority.

Oh, I think a Mac version will come when there's a suitable DRM (of course, unless Apple fix Fairplay that doesn't mean it'll ever work with iPods/phones). Linux I'm less convinced about, but I think a Mac version will happen.

Phazer

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
LOLerskates :D Beeb tend to have great intentions, but they've been dragged into the same old DRM rubbish as the more evil corporations out there.

Usenet FTW. Top Gear on the XBox 360.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
The quality is *****! I expected nothing great but this is just stupid. Just look at the attached image of a cocker-spaniel, a hamster and a giraffe, they look weird!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 90

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The quality is *****! I expected nothing great but this is just stupid. Just look at the attached image of a cocker-spaniel, a hamster and a giraffe, they look weird!

I suspect that when the release the option to download the programs rather than stream them the quality will be a lot higher. I think the quality they chose is a trade of due to bandwidth requirements.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

It's better than YouTube, which is obviously enough for people given how many users it has.

*wants iPhone Flash player now*

Phazer

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
Just had a look at this and it seems OK. Not something I'll use a lot I don't think until you can download stuff, but I might use it every now and again when there's something I happen to miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.