BBC iPlayer to come to iPhone/Touch "within weeks"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Phazer, Feb 20, 2008.

1. The Phazer macrumors 68030

A very reliable BBC source told me today that Ashley Highfield (the head of the BBC's new media division) plans to launch a specially built iPhone/iPod touch portal for iPlayer "within weeks".

I would have to assume that this means the streaming iPlayer service rather than the download one, as if they'd been given access to the timed expiry of Fairplay within that time period an iPlayer for Mac desktops would be coming at the same time (which isn't mentioned at all, so doesn't appear to be the case).

However, the streaming service currently uses Flash. It is possible they're going to start streaming in Quicktime, but I really, really doubt it (the BBC are using Flash Media Server 3 because it uses a transmission protocol that hasn't been reverse engineered yet, and Adobe are doing a lot of work on Flash's DRM for the BBC to make those streams impossible (or at least sufficiently difficult) to capture - Quicktime doesn't really have any of that).Unless there's some form of proprietry portal coming just for iPhone users, ala YouTube, that's invisible to the rest of the internet.

The other possibility is that the BBC have been told by Apple as part of the iTunes negotiations that the iPlayer will have Flash very shortly...

No idea if this means the recently rebranded radio player as well. Sorry. Wouldn't have thought so, though they are supposed to be getting much more unified in terms of formats, so it will probably happen eventually.

Phazer

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Even more good stuff! :D
    (If true…)

Strange though the BBC site is still silent about it…

3. The Phazer thread starter macrumors 68030

Now also being reported by The Guardian.

Their story is dated two hours before my post and includes direct quotes from Ashley Highfield, so looks like it's certainly true.

Phazer

4. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. Manj27 macrumors member

This is great news. It re-confirms Steve Jobs' "iPhone is 5 yrs ahead of its time" comment when launching the device last year. The iphone doesn't need a TV tuner built in (something Nokia is still in process of doing for its upcoming high end phones) when it has the internet to stream TV on demand.

I think BBC have been given early access to the SDK and the iPlayer on iphone launch will require installation of a BBC iPlayer app to the iTouch/iPhone.

Can't wait to test - hope all BBC radio follow too.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Coincidence?

Just went to the iPlayer site and got this message:

Of course it may just be routine… but wouldn't it be luverly. :D

Edit: Alas… back online. Seems it was just routine maintenance.

8. Pennine macrumors 6502

This is great news, its like getting a new toy every couple of month.There's something new to play with.

9. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

This is excellent news! I have been eagerly waiting for this move by apple and BBC.

10. Pennine macrumors 6502

Just noticed the BBC i Player web site is closed for maintenance. I wonder if they are getting things ready for next week ?

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No its back online again… :(

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

er, streaming over EDGE? riiiiiight.

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed, especially as some of the devices/technologies at the mobile world conference look very impressive to say the least, built in TV tuners, projectors, video out via hdmi etc. The current iPhone will look basic in 5 years time, especially considering some of the specs were basic at release.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That is true.

But over Wifi at home and at hotspots it'd be perfect…
    Just what I needed lying in bed with flu. :p

Edit: And besides anyone who actually believes the stuff Steve Jobs spouts is a tool…

15. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

who doesn't have wi-fi at work? great for lunch breaks!

16. Pennine macrumors 6502

What about Downloading ?

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What about downloading? Streaming, downloading, it all requires a good amount of bandwidth.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to see this, everything is a step forward, but to think this is going to bring you TV on the move is crazy.

18. Pennine macrumors 6502

Yeah but how long does it take to download a 50 mins episode of say " Ashes to Ashes " ? can't be that long can it ?

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Over EDGE? Are you kidding me? Of course it can be "that long"!

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

But I think no one in this thread was claiming TV on the move… But TV on demand.
    Currently I am still realistic enough to expect that that means stationary with a fast link.
    Not on a train or other moving vehicle where even making a call on O2's network is a trial. :eek:

21. The Phazer thread starter macrumors 68030

The BBC, somewhat ironically...

I don't think downloading the streams will be possible, and will be actively prevented as much as possible for rights reasons.

If it's downloadable, it needs the timed-expiry DRM, and there's no indication yet that the BBC has a deal with Apple for it on free downloads like iPlayer.

Phazer

22. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

maybe there will be a BBC app in conjunction with the SDK?

from the digitalspy pages:

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I need to get my head right here, the BBC... Doing things that people want...

... I must still be drunk.

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

So the BBC got the SDK, they're going via Adobe's AIR or similar and will actually be Mac compatible. Wow !! Bonus on the content and usefulness -
    The ability to watch newsnight, news, soaps inparticular for some folks will be a big boon - and start moving iPhone users more to the legal movie and tv possibilities. (half of video p2p is tv after all it's estimated).

25. londondude macrumors regular

There is a radio web app that you can listen to capital radio, xfm etc and it uses a stream so why cant it be done the same way with the BBC?