Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Does anyone know why the BBC News homepage is displaying all messed up?

I have turned off all extensions and restarted Safari, but still seeing the same.

Could it be something to do with Flash or any other type of media codec thingy?

Does anyone else using an iMac (27 " late 2010) and latest OS/Safari get this too?

Thanks in advance.

ps. I'm only using Safari so i don't know if it would be the same on another browser

edit: I normally have webpages zoomed in so that the actual useful part is as wide as the screen. This makes the distortion bigger/longer

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 13.50.00.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 13.50.00.png
    982.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 13.49.51.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 13.49.51.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 85

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
could be early stages of graphics card failure.

Can you just download and use Chrome as a test?

Krayzkat

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Although it doesn’t happen on any other website just the www.bbc.co.uk/news

Ps. Forgot to say that it’s only been happening for the last month or so (around about same time I upgraded to High Sierra)

Krayzkat

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
could be early stages of graphics card failure.

Can you just download and use Chrome as a test?
Ok, so i downloaded Google Chrome (took 2 attempts, 1st wouldn't install for some reason?)

Just before i downloaded Chrome, i checked BBC News website on Safari and it was distorted like before.

So when i opened up Chrome and went to www.bbc.co.uk/news it was displayed normally with no distortion. Even tried different zoom settings and it was fine.

Funnily enough, i went back on Safari and reloaded BBC News and that was fine too. Lol. Possibly the 'distorted' news section of the front page had been taken off as 'yesterdays news' etc.

Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe Safari knew i had downloaded a competitor and decided it couldn't slack on me anymore (sometimes in the past when my iMac has been running real slow, i open up Activity Monitor to find out whats causing the slowness, and then all of a sudden the computer starts working properly again).
Maybe when you dl Chrome you also dl updated Flash/codec type things too, i dunno?

Anyway, i will keep an eye on things, and if it appears again i will comment on here. I will keep Chrome on my desktop as a warning to the Safari Poltergeist i have squatting in my machine.

ps. The distorted piece seemed to be one of those sections of a webpage where you can scroll left/right or up/down to get more info without the rest of the page scrolling up/down, if you know what i mean?

edit: Testing on zoom levels ( cmd +/- ) on both Safari and Chrome on BBC News homepage, Chrome wins hands down. Safari seems to zoom in way too much and not really moving things around properly to fit, whereas Chrome does

Compare these 2 screenshots (1 Chrome 1 Safari) the text is same size but the photo scaling on Safari is monstrous)
[doublepost=1512831626][/doublepost]Both images were taken using control cmd 4 and drawing a box on the screen of the same size

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 14.55.04.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 14.55.04.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 14.54.05.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 14.54.05.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the page displays "normally" in Chrome, it's NOT anything that's hardware-related.

I've found that some pages just won't display 100% "right" in Safari.
That's Safari's problem.
You're probably not going to "fix" it...

Krayzkat

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
If the page displays "normally" in Chrome, it's NOT anything that's hardware-related.

I've found that some pages just won't display 100% "right" in Safari.
That's Safari's problem.
You're probably not going to "fix" it...
:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.