BBC News iPad app in UK?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by rikbrown, Jun 29, 2010.

1. rikbrown macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and we are unable to get the BBC News iPad app (legal issues...) and I'm quite jealous of you USAicans as it looks very nice!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way (I'm JB'd) to acquire/install this app on a UK iPad (e.g. sideloading)? I searched high and low for APKs and didn't immediately see one.

Apologies if this is considered an illegal practice, in which case feel free to delete the thread.

Thanks.

2. mixvio macrumors 6502

Heh you can't get the BBC app, but the US can? Bizarre.

You can use a friend's US credit card for billing details. Just put it in your iTunes account like you would add a normal credit card and it will take you to the US store where you can buy it with no trouble. It will still be available to you when you switch back to your UK one. The US store also accepts PayPal too.

That's the easiest and legal-ist way to do it. I'm from the US originally, but I live in Australia now. I still maintain a US bank account however, so if something isn't available in the Australian iTunes store (which is most stuff) I just pop over to an account I made with my US billing details and purchase it through that.

The only downside is that if they make an update to the BBC app you won't be able to install it without inputting US billing details again. It will tell you there's an update, but you'll never be able to access it. That's not been a problem for me as I do have a US credit card, but if you don't have reliable and consistent access to one it may be problematic for you.

There probably is a way to get it in a pirated form, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how as I don't pirate apps, and it's against the rules for discussion here anyway.

3. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't getting hold of a US iTunes gift card be easier than using a US credit card? I haven't tried this myself but I've heard that it works.

4. rikbrown thread starter macrumors regular

It's anti-trust issues or something like that. Legality to do with license fees and stuff. The BBC isn't allowed to move in on other TV company's markets etc (I think - something to this extent).

Ah interesting, I'll see if I can find someone I know over there willing to help!

Yeah - well I wasn't sure if copying the APK from someone else's iTunes is considered "piracy" if the app is free in the first place? Heh.

5. rikbrown thread starter macrumors regular

I'd need to get it shipped here and everything? And indeed - put money down just to get a free app!

6. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I'm just going on what I've heard but I think that there are sellers on eBay that will email you the redeem code. It sounds a bit dodgy but on the other hand you're not risking that much money.

If all you want is the BBC News App and you have friends in the states then it probably isn't worth it. However there is loads of stuff in the US store that we don't get that you could spend the rest of a gift card on.

7. mixvio macrumors 6502

Ah I didn't realise it was free. That's nuts.

8. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

The App itself is mediocre at best, but I'll give you instructions as to how to get it properly, although still breaking the Store T&Cs:

• Go to iTunes Store. Make sure you're signed out
    • Go to the bottom and switch the country to the US
    • Search for the BBC App
    • Click on the 'free' button, and it will ask you to sign in
    • Register with 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California, Zip Code: 95014 as your address
    • When it gets to the card details, because this is a free App you can select 'None'
    • Enjoy!
    I got this App a couple of months back, and it's alright, just not as good as the website. It's actually got worse with the most recent update, as they've changed the UI in an unintuitive way. :(

9. rikbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go when I get home.

Shame to hear that it's not that great, looking at the screenshots last time I did they seemed good. Oh well I'll give it a go!

10. rikbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Very.
    See http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-bbc-told-to-delay-iphone-apps/

Ridiculous bureaucracy basically because the BBC is funded by the tax payer and has to be seen to be making the best use of that money as a public service, and not undermining commercial services!

The reason the US can get it is because it's a commercial app (I believe BBC America just operates as a regular commercial channel/company) supported by adverts.

11. chimpy0813 macrumors newbie

Hey just to let you know the above works!!! what a great idea :)