BBC News iphone app to launch today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taffowl, Jul 23, 2010.

1. taffowl macrumors newbie

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Sounds good, although to be honest the website itself is fine on Safari.

3. taffowl thread starter macrumors newbie

true, at least the videos might now be playable. The ipad demo looks slick.

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Someone should have patented the "pull down to refresh" UI.. as BBC are now using it in their apps!

would have made a killing :)

From the FAQ's page

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

For info, the BBC said they would support iOS video playback on their website later this year. They weren't able to roll it out with the new website redesign....

6. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Since they redesigned the website (to much criticism!), I've found that Mobile Safari can't cope with the new front page layout and doesn't display the whole page as a starting point, just the left hand side of it. God knows how the BBC web designers managed that.

Anyway, I think the more significant nugget of information in the article is that an iPlayer app is finally on the way!

7. JamesHP macrumors 6502

8. taffowl thread starter macrumors newbie

9. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Just downloaded it. About time this got released (although there's some seriously pixelly text and graphics going on. You'd think they could have included high res graphic elements for the retina display!)
    [​IMG]
    Nice responsible message about data charges too!

10. nednarm macrumors 6502

wow I just installed this and it's really good. The layout is great, it's really easy to navigate through so far.
    I wish they included high res images for iphone 4 though. Apart from that's it's great, better than many other news apps which you have to pay for.

11. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Hmm....they've enabled rotation for all four sides, so you can hold the iphone with the home button at the top. I know some iPad apps do this, but iPhone apps usually don't. I suppose it gives you an extra option!

12. CeeJayCee macrumors newbie

Is anyone else having problems finding this in the App Store on their handset? I can't find it...

13. RA19 macrumors regular

I'm in the UK and can't find it in search section on App Store on iPhone.

Where is it please?

14. MacMuppet macrumors member

Finding the BBC News app

I found it a little difficult to find but if you type "BBC News" (without
    the quotation marks) the app will appear towards the bottom of a list.

It is there :)

15. vebs macrumors regular

16. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

It's under BBC News. Here you go:

[​IMG]

What a rubbish low-res icon though!

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

is the ipad app the same one you could get on the US stores months ago?

if so, it's slow and clunky... unless this version has been updated and improved a LOT, i will stick with my RSS feeds

18. RA19 macrumors regular

Thx. Got it. Weird how when you type in BBC it doesn't show up, but type in BBC News then press Search & it's way down the page. Thought the Search auto facility normally worked better than that?

19. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

to be fair to the BBC i think this app has been ready for a long time, it was just waiting ages to be approved by the BBC Trust...

So back then the iPhone 4 with it's high res screen was totally unknown, and more recently why bother doing the higher res updates to an app that you didn't even know for sure would be approved.

Hopefully now that it's available an update to support iphone 4 will be forthcoming!

20. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Nice little app. Just downloaded it onto my pad and phone.

Its only a matter of time before they start charging for this level of service.

21. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Correct - it's been available outside the UK for a while. I've had the iPad version for a couple of months.

22. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Finally we can now get BBC video on iPhone and iPad. They have been sitting on this app for a while as the iPad version (on which the iPad part is based) has been out in the US for some time (crazy world isn't it?! ;)).

But will they deliver updates? I hope we will get some speed improvements and also an update for the retina display. They even allow some video playback over 3G (as iPlayer is WIFI only), although maybe they're allowed to do that now that O2 has started creating data caps on its iPhone plans.

Haven't tried on the iPad yet but it will be worth it for the videos. As soon as the main website is updated with HTML5 videos later this year I will be able to drop it and go back to the website.

23. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's the BBC - they can't! Anyway, for an example of why website paywalls don't work you only have to look at the Times!

24. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I've been using this via US app store for a while, I was surprised that we didn't have it in the UK store considerin they a UK based company but hey nice to finally see it in the UK store

25. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

They wouldn't be able to do that in the UK for BBC constitutional issues, those same issues that meant it took so long to even get this app in the UK despite the rest of the world having it! Because the BBC gets funded by the license fee, it can't do anything that might be seen as outside its remit or competing with others in the UK as this would be deemed to be taking advantage of its unique position. Overseas, it doesn't matter because there the BBC has to stand on its own two financial legs.