Bbc On Line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevepeck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. stevepeck macrumors member

BBC One and BBC Two will be available to watch live on the internet from next week.

The channels will be accessible on www.bbc.co.uk and on internet-enabled devices such as mobile phones.

They join BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC, CBeebies and BBC News, which are already streamed on the web.

Research by Ofcom revealed that the number of people watching television online doubled over the past 12 months.

Jana Bennett, director of BBC Vision, said: "The launch of BBC One and BBC Two online completes our commitment to make our portfolio of channels available to watch on the internet.

"From November 27, licence fee-payers will be able to watch BBC programmes, live, wherever they are in the UK on their computers, mobile phones and other portable devices.

"Through iPlayer and series stacking, they'll have the option to catch up with them later."

The channels are being put online as part of a one-year evaluation period.

They will only be available to internet users in the UK, and anyone watching or recording broadcasts must, by law, have a television licence.

Will this appear on Iphone?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

See thread here

Since it utilises Flash, probably won't be available on the iPhone.

3. gazzer82 macrumors regular

GOD DAMN IT, give us flash!! This is just going to continue to happen!!

Ok, you may not like it, you may want to create a more "APPLE" web standard, but you are too late flash is ubiquitous with the internet these days, so suck it up and get it on the damn phone!!

Grrrrr,

Rant Over

:)

4. .adam macrumors regular

The iPlayer works on the iPhone though so maybe there will be a work around for the iPhone?

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I remember from earlier this year when it was first announced (may be incorrect) that all content has to be "re-purposed" for the iPhone:
    I doubt they wil be converting "Live" content. Of course they may surprise us… but I think without Flash we are stuck.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How soon before the license fee is replaced by a computer/device/phone tax?

Note that they don't include a Mac. ;)

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Cool, I guess I need not waste money on that USB Freeview tuner for my MacBook then! :p

I like iPlayer on my iPhone 3G, the only thing thats annoying is I can only use it when I have WiFi signal... I know why they needed to make it that way, but its annoying all the same.

8. trevreyno macrumors member

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

That ain't live though, is it?

10. scousebarry macrumors newbie

you need flash to make this work on the iphone!!! think before posting!!!:confused:

11. trevreyno macrumors member

-yes it is live.:)

12. trevreyno macrumors member

-i didnt say it was available on the iphone-just it was available online

13. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

A Mac is a PC, it is a Personal Computer. You can also buy Mac laptops. I hope you aren't trying to say that the BBC is anti-mac because out of all the terrestrial uk channels, they're the only ones that provide virtually equal opportunities to windows and Mac users.

No, they don't need to make it that way, the Nokia n96 can use iplayer over 3g, this is something annoying, probably to do with o2.

14. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

He knows that very well. He even did a winky smiley just in case people didn't understand. Like this: :rolleyes:

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Fixed. ;)

16. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

Oops! My apologies Blue Velvet :)

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It was just a joke because it didn't say you needed a lisence for the Mac.

In that case, I'm pissed! I'm gonna use O2's Internet all the time now just to use up their bandwidth!!!!! :D

18. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Alright, alright, internet sarcasm ain't always terribly easy to spot. And yes, I realise the obviousness of it now, and yes, she is a mod. I shall take a few seconds more before posting in future.

Edit: I am actually pretty damn blind, it took me an additional 5 minutes to re-read Blue Velvet's message and get her intended joke. Sheesh, I'm dumb sometimes.

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I wouldn't make any long term plans around that site. It has no source of revenue (it can't legally put ads around this retransmission) and uses truckfulls of bandwidth. That doesn't strike me as a brilliant business model.

Notably the N96 *cannot* use iPlayer on 3G on O2 - it's wifi only. Some networks allow it, some don't.

Oh, and don't expect a non-Flash stream anytime in the forseeable future.

Phazer

20. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Not true (anymore). TVCatchup here http://iphone.tvcatchup.com/ has been re-purposed to NOT use Flash, and plays live TV on the iPhone/iPod Touch now. In UK only though.

Check before posting!!! :)

It's a non-Flash stream. Matter of opinion if it's in the "foreseeable future" from Nov 2008.