BBC podcast interface -especially for the iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by memesmith, Nov 18, 2007.

1. memesmith macrumors regular

iPhone owning Archers addicts rejoice! Check out the sexy iPhone interface pn the BBC's podcast pages. I'd post the link direct, if anyone had thought to include a copy paste function on my operating system (wry smile), but as it is all I can do us suggest you head over to www.bbc.co.I'm/radio and zip down to the bottom of the page where you should find a new set of links titled "ways to listen." Ignore the listen on your mobile link, which is for loser's without an iPhone, and click on podcasts. The been use their Internet magic to identify you as an iPhone user and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover...

2. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

3. paulo999 macrumors member

I looked at this yesterday - I get as far as the individual screen for a programme, but there is no play or save or whatever.

I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the software config on my phone (I cant get any media to play. Often I just get a quicktime logo. Other times a play icon with a bar through it. Hmm.)

4. otto-mate macrumors member

otto-mate

Do you see a little blue icon bottom right? ">" Click that to start streaming.

M.

5. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

it wouldn't work for me over edge but was fine on my wi-fi at home. Hope this helps...

6. ph0rce macrumors 6502

when I used this app I was actually amazed that the BBC were finely supporting mac os!

Bring on BBC iPlayer / free BBC in the iTunes Store!!

Jeff.

7. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I took the time to write them some feedback stating how pleased I was with this. All well and good complaining at them but it's important to let them know when they've got something right.

8. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Anyone know of a way to listen to these podcasts if you don't live in the UK?
    This is a bit annoying that they are restricted to UK people only.

I don't think we restrict any of our sites in the US from our friends across the ocean, do we? (or maybe we do?)

9. sneeks macrumors 6502a

10. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I'm afraid you do. A lot of sites, usually TV themed, restrict streams to people identified as outside of the US. Which is annoying.
    Plus the fact you're not a licence fee payer being outside the UK may justify the restriction somewhat...

Still, good find! I can see me using this a fair bit...

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It has to do with the BBC license fee we pay every year. That makes the BBC an advertising free zone… But it has restrictionson how much can then be broadcats outside the UK.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Hopefully A&MI will build a pretty iPhone interface when the SDK comes out next year and someone makes something that will stream Real files from the BBC 'Listen Again' service.

iPlayer downloads for the Mac might happen later next year, but depend on something like Adobe Air being finished so there's a workable, licenable DRM that supports timed expiry.

Free downloads from iTunes is very unlikely to happen, as Apple appear to have no interest in modifying Fairplay to allow the timed expiry and that's all the BBC have the rights to distribute content for.

Yes, you do. Almost without exception (with legal sites at least).

Phazer

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

14. trevreyno macrumors member

A great find and works very well over wifi.Glad to see the likes of the BBC getting on board with the iPhone web interface so quick.
    Sky have also put an iPhone interfaced news site up http://news.sky.com/skynews/iphone/home (although the amount of content lacks a bit)

15. jparris1 macrumors regular

Works fine on my iPhone and am a U.S. iPhone user. Listening to Digital Planet as we speak.

16. Project macrumors 68020

17. joseph2166 macrumors 6502

Lol how many of those are there here? HANDS UP PLEASE! (My hand definitely down - too many times I've been forced to listen to the gripping stories of Ambridge!)

It's very nice to seeing the beeb do this sort of thing - not a perfect interface yet but very welcome! Now we just need the same for the 'listen again' - including live stuff.

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

There's not likely to be any re-encoding of the streams for such a thing, so I wouldn't expect it until there's a Realplayer for iPhone (which I would assume might happen post SDK).