BBC reveals stunning sample footage shot with TyphoonHD4 camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by edesignuk, May 8, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Thought this might give the video crowd a few kicks.

BBC Natural History Unit FTW!

2. lurcher macrumors regular

lurcher

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

eh, 100,000 grand i'll take 3 of them for my youtube videos :rolleyes:

4. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

When it comes to groundbreaking documentaries, the BBC is second to none. Recently with Planet Earth, The Blue Planet and this year's Nature's Great Events to name but some of Attenborough's delights.

5. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

You can't tell anything about the camera or the quality of its footage based on that YouTube clip.

6. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

That's a ridiculous comment.

7. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Any particular reason why?

The resolution is heavily compressed (as it must be to be on YouTube) so that we can't tell what the image looked like coming out of the camera. They're basically saying, "BBC has this this awesome camera. Check out this footage, even though it doesn't do the camera justice at all." What's the point?

To be fair, there's no good way to show how great the camera is over the internet because the clip would either have to be compressed or ridiculously short. But to then say that this Youtube clip will prove how awesome it is is just not true.

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

You can glean plenty from that footage: sensitivity, dynamic range, etc. What's lacking? Resolution? It's 720p, which is higher res than most will see it on TV.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If it's breathtaking in a highly compressed youtubeHD clip, then when it hits our HDTV's, it's gonna blow your mind.

Just amazing.

10. 7031 macrumors 6502

Doen't mean the bitrate is any good.

11. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Which doesn't mean the picture is bad. And it doesn't mean, as aloofman suggested, that it's worthless.

12. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I still disagree. Compressing for Youtube degrades those things too. I'm not saying that the clip isn't nice-looking. I'm saying that if the camera is really that great, then this clip isn't going to be able to show it to us.

13. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

You're a difficult man to please. What they — that's the BBC and the OP — are showing is that this camera is capable of recording ultra-slow-motion in places it wasn't previously achievable (or at least easily achieved).

Compressing for viewing doesn't stop that message getting across — and nor does it degrade sensitivity or dynamic range. Even on lowly VHS you can tell Lord of the Rings was made by some impressive artists on some impressive equipment.