Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
After over 20 years the BBC have pulled the plug on neighbours. They have been asked to pay £300 million for 8 years worth of shows. That is roughly three-times what they pay at the moment.

I used to watch it when I got home from school in the 90's but I don't watch it anymore. It will be weird when I has gone, it is a British TV institution.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
For those of you who don't know the show, it has provided the starting point for some famous careers. To name just a few:

Kylie Minogue
Jesse Spencer (Dr. Chase from House)
Alan Dale (has appeared in 24, The OC, and Lost, among others)
Guy Pearce (Memento, among others)
Radha Mitchell (Pitch Black, Phone Booth)
Russell Crowe
Natalie Imbruglia

Can anyone think of any more?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I remember watching it when Kylie was only known as Charlene and Guy Pearce used to take his top off a lot, but to be honest I've not seen it in so long I won't miss it.

However, if the BBC is to drop a soap, can't they get rid of EastEnders? That one's well past its sell-by data.

EDIT : I forgot about Ugly Betty's Alan Dale. Jim Robinson. LOL :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Ohh the horror. How could they possibly turn down such high quality Australian drama? :D

On a serious this is actually disappointing to hear. The aussie tv industry really struggles to compete with international content, mostly due to budget constraints, and even though Neighbours could be considered somewhat trashy, it was one of the few tv exports that actually made any kind of decent money, which in turn helped young actors, writers, producers etc. Is it likely that a different network will pick it up?

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I think it could be picked up by Channel 5 or ITV. I know Channel 5 got 'Home and Away' and that dies a death pretty soon after.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i've been waiting for this day for a long long time:D

the amount of arguments me and my mrs have over she wants to watch Neighbours whilst i want to play ps2/xbox and 360

Happy day's are almost here!

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wow, is that show still on the air? It must be an entirely different cast now. I guess it can go indefinitely, last I heard, Eastenders is still being taped.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
i've been waiting for this day for a long long time:D

the amount of arguments me and my mrs have over she wants to watch Neighbours whilst i want to play ps2/xbox and 360

Happy day's are almost here!

Just pray they don't sell the DVDs...

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
This show seemed to me originally as it was one of the last, stretched links between Britain and Australia, whether that is true or not. I just didn't get why we needed two Australian soaps.
I basically never watched it but for some reason, I casually followed the saga about some girl's boyfriend turning out to be someone's long lost son and being necessary for some sort of surgery. I actually never found out what happened in the end.

Frohike

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Kent, England
Where are you at in the UK with Neighbours anyway? Has Stingray died yet?

i watch about 15 min of it once a week. personally i find it to be pretty poor acting, but some people, especially the poms, seem to love it.

Oh good god! Are you winding people up by saying that or is it a spoiler of all spoilers, i think we're about two months behind you guys... how close to his death are we... and when are Karl and Susan coming to England?!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Oh good god! Are you winding people up by saying that or is it a spoiler of all spoilers, i think we're about two months behind you guys... how close to his death are we... and when are Karl and Susan coming to England?!

you guys are behind! Karl and Susan go to England, and Karl books a nice room at the Ritz. There, they meet several Aussies, including one old friend of Karls.

If you want me to spoil it, I can :cool:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
maybe we should start a Neighbours Spoilers thread here :D
Not much point from the point of view of the Great British viewing public, is there? :p

Out of interest, where the scenes in England actually filmed over here – and if so, when were the actors actually over here? I ask because the bloke who plays Karl Kennedy visited Hull to play a gig with his band (no, really) at the back end of last year, so I was wondering if he took the opportunity to do a quick tour of the country while here filming.

Suffice to say I didn't go along to see him (no, really). :p

eMac4ever

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
For those of you who don't know the show, it has provided the starting point for some famous careers. To name just a few:

Kylie Minogue
Russell Crowe
Natalie Imbruglia

Wasn't Dannii Minogue also on Neighbors?

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
The words, "good riddance to bad rubbish" come to mind. But I worry what will replace it. Always the pessimist. :p

Retired
May 16, 2006
Yes, I always used to watch the last minute or so, as it came just before a show I watched (The Simpsons?)...dreadful...

BUT...I do like Eastenders...not a regular viewer, but I like to catch it once in a while :)

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden

Kylie Minogue
Russell Crowe
Natalie Imbruglia

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Jason Donovan? You mention all these folks and you forget the sealed with a kiss extraordinaire?

... actually, it never occurred to me that Guy Pearce of Memento was one in the same! ... Russell Crowe was on Neighbors?! I'm going to have to youtube this... haha!

Anyway, I haven't seen this for ages, don't live in the UK, and never liked it so really, I guess I don't care..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.