BBC to drop Neighbours

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R.Youden, May 18, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

After over 20 years the BBC have pulled the plug on neighbours. They have been asked to pay £300 million for 8 years worth of shows. That is roughly three-times what they pay at the moment.

I used to watch it when I got home from school in the 90's but I don't watch it anymore. It will be weird when I has gone, it is a British TV institution.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

For those of you who don't know the show, it has provided the starting point for some famous careers. To name just a few:

Kylie Minogue
    Jesse Spencer (Dr. Chase from House)
    Alan Dale (has appeared in 24, The OC, and Lost, among others)
    Guy Pearce (Memento, among others)
    Radha Mitchell (Pitch Black, Phone Booth)
    Russell Crowe
    Natalie Imbruglia

Can anyone think of any more?

3. Queso macrumors G4

I remember watching it when Kylie was only known as Charlene and Guy Pearce used to take his top off a lot, but to be honest I've not seen it in so long I won't miss it.

However, if the BBC is to drop a soap, can't they get rid of EastEnders? That one's well past its sell-by data.

EDIT : I forgot about Ugly Betty's Alan Dale. Jim Robinson. LOL :)

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

5. Queso macrumors G4

Your sister eh? ;)

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Ohh the horror. How could they possibly turn down such high quality Australian drama? :D

On a serious this is actually disappointing to hear. The aussie tv industry really struggles to compete with international content, mostly due to budget constraints, and even though Neighbours could be considered somewhat trashy, it was one of the few tv exports that actually made any kind of decent money, which in turn helped young actors, writers, producers etc. Is it likely that a different network will pick it up?

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

They've all gone to the Bungle Bungles in the sky.:)

8. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I think it could be picked up by Channel 5 or ITV. I know Channel 5 got 'Home and Away' and that dies a death pretty soon after.

9. Queso macrumors G4

At least they didn't all die in a car crash :D

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i've been waiting for this day for a long long time:D

the amount of arguments me and my mrs have over she wants to watch Neighbours whilst i want to play ps2/xbox and 360

Happy day's are almost here!

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Where are you at in the UK with Neighbours anyway? Has Stingray died yet?

:rolleyes:

i watch about 15 min of it once a week. personally i find it to be pretty poor acting, but some people, especially the poms, seem to love it.

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Wow, is that show still on the air? It must be an entirely different cast now. I guess it can go indefinitely, last I heard, Eastenders is still being taped.

13. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Just pray they don't sell the DVDs...

14. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

This show seemed to me originally as it was one of the last, stretched links between Britain and Australia, whether that is true or not. I just didn't get why we needed two Australian soaps.
    I basically never watched it but for some reason, I casually followed the saga about some girl's boyfriend turning out to be someone's long lost son and being necessary for some sort of surgery. I actually never found out what happened in the end.

15. Frohike macrumors regular

Oh good god! Are you winding people up by saying that or is it a spoiler of all spoilers, i think we're about two months behind you guys... how close to his death are we... and when are Karl and Susan coming to England?!

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

you guys are behind! Karl and Susan go to England, and Karl books a nice room at the Ritz. There, they meet several Aussies, including one old friend of Karls.

If you want me to spoil it, I can :cool:

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Presumably the Aussies are bar staff at the Ritz.:)

18. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

they hit the bar quite hard (like all good Aussies do), but they don't work there. They go to the Ritz, but it's not the Ritz. More spoilers?

maybe we should start a Neighbours Spoilers thread here :D

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Not much point from the point of view of the Great British viewing public, is there? :p

Out of interest, where the scenes in England actually filmed over here – and if so, when were the actors actually over here? I ask because the bloke who plays Karl Kennedy visited Hull to play a gig with his band (no, really) at the back end of last year, so I was wondering if he took the opportunity to do a quick tour of the country while here filming.

Suffice to say I didn't go along to see him (no, really). :p

20. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

Wasn't Dannii Minogue also on Neighbors?

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Home and Away I think

22. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

The words, "good riddance to bad rubbish" come to mind. But I worry what will replace it. Always the pessimist. :p

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, I always used to watch the last minute or so, as it came just before a show I watched (The Simpsons?)...dreadful...

BUT...I do like Eastenders...not a regular viewer, but I like to catch it once in a while :)

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Jason Donovan? You mention all these folks and you forget the sealed with a kiss extraordinaire?

... actually, it never occurred to me that Guy Pearce of Memento was one in the same! ... Russell Crowe was on Neighbors?! I'm going to have to youtube this... haha!

Anyway, I haven't seen this for ages, don't live in the UK, and never liked it so really, I guess I don't care..