BBC Top Gear (SPOLERS)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blujelly, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

So the long awaited wait hosts for Top Gear have been announced....

6 hosts!! 6!!! This show is set to fail.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/meet-your-new-top-gear-presenters

"We are very proud to announce that racing driver Sabine Schmitz, YouTube star Chris Harris, F1 pundit Eddie Jordan and motoring journalist Rory Reid will join Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc and of course, The Stig, when the show returns in May."

I think Matt LeBlanc, Eddie Jordan & Sabine Schmitz are the only people I'd be interested it.

Never have or will like Chris Evans, Rory Reid....... and I've never heard of Chris Harris who I don't count as a public audition if his a 'YouTube Star'

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The show is doomed with Chris Evans fronting it. Once Amazon launch their show it will be over. You cannot take a show that has been running for many years with established presenters and replace all of them. Just look at what happened to two and half men without Charlie Sheen.

I thought it was Hilarious the picture in the papers of Chris Evans spewing his guts out on the side of the track after a session around the track. Not sure if the STIG OR Nadine was driving but it sure had him looking yellow.

3. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Very good point! There literally chucking as many famous people as they can!

I know the BBC wouldn't but they should have just ended the show. I guarantee as well the BBC will show the viewings figures when it comes to May, but when it comes to Amazon launch in the summer they will go quite all of a sudden.

4. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Top Gear is going to be a news/information show now rather than a show for entertainment. It will certinly turn people off watching it.

5. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

To be fair Top Gear was a little like that at the start of the show as the show went on it swapped over, but even towards the end it was still a good combination entertainment and news.

But I agree with you how the new Top Gear will be written.

6. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

You could always wait until you've actually seen an episode before passing judgment!

it might fail.
    it might be great.

7. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

8. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

9. Macky-Mac, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

The show is doomed with Matt LeBlanc........he's been hosting the Top Gear highlights compilations that are on BBC America......he's flat, dull, wooden and surprisingly awkward saying his lines to set up the next clip

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I will not be watching it. I will be watching gear nobs though

11. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Do you reckon that could be the way it's written for a compilation?

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it wasn't a problem with the writing but rather the way he delivered his lines

13. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Ah I see I guess time will tell. I'm not going to lie, I'm going to watch a couple of episodes to see what they do to what was an amazing show, as I I'm sure they'll loose the show.

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

You're foolish to write off Chris Harris so quickly. His content online is good, his enthusiasm and review style will do just fine on the new show. If "YouTube" doesn't count for much in terms of credentials, then he has been in the industry for a while, working for Autocar, Evo and a few other smaller ventures.

Embrace change! The last word in motoring does not belong to Jeremy Clarkson, James May or Richard Hammond.

15. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

As mentioned I will watch the first few episodes as I expect must true Top Gear fans will, but I can't see it sticking. I could be wrong but I think 6 hosts for this show is to much. It's an hour show 3 was good 4 I think would also be work well, but 6 is bit to far...

Your right the last word in motoring isn't down to the trio, but they've worked hard to get there. Look how well it worked for 5th gear.....

16. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I found 'old' Top Gear was getting too predictable and scripted. Maybe Clarkson knew this so engineered his way out of the show. Anyway, I like Chris Evans I find him entertaining - I think he may have selected too many presenters for the new show, but I doubt they'll all be on it each week.

Will if fail? Who knows, will Jeremy's new show fail, depends if anyone can be bothered to pay for prime.

Either way Clarkson and Evans' bank balance wont fail.

17. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Prime is £75 p/a which may throw some people off, but they could end up doing a season pass.

18. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

You can subscribe to amazon prime video only for £5.99 a month. I did this to watch "Man in the High Castle" & "Mister Robot" last month and then cancelled.
    It remains to be seen whether they'll drop all the CHM show in one go or ration them out weekly.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

20. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

It ran for another four years. That's a long way from "doomed".

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Sure, no reason not to check it out. Maybe they'll manage a new version that'll be a success on its own merits

22. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This.

Attached Files:

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Top Gear was well in need of a shake up despite still having popularity around the world for following its familiar format IMO. I gave up watching it some years ago as I truly can't stand Richard Hammond and his clown character he was forced to play. It was being questioned for a few years whether the concept was dated.

I think the new format is worth a watch and i'll certainly be tuning in. Chris Evans has the right personality to lead it and it just might be turned back into a motoring show with a good mix of entertainment. Three mates taking the mick out of each other and performing the same tired challenges year on year will happily be hidden away on Amazon. :)

24. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Well, count me in!

Nope, count me out!