BBC "Watchdog" (UK) -iPhone water damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JonnyIreland, Jun 3, 2010.

1. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

To all UK posters, in the next few minutes there will be a story on BBC1's Watchdog show about Apple refusing to replace "moisture damaged" iPhones. It should be interesting as this was a big issue at one time. I also noticed that when i was getting a screen repair on my iPhone last Saturday (at an Apple Store), the first thing they checked was for water damage -even though I was bringing them an iPhone with dust under the screen.

2. Flumps macrumors regular

Flumps

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sod it, I missed it. Ill hit it on BBC iPlayer.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Also, this is available here.

Living on the east coast of Scotland, I worry about the humidity in the air triggering the two external tabs. Does anybody know if there are any commercially available rubber plugs that would fit over the headphone and charging ports to reduce the chance of inadvertently causing the indicators to turn red?

Also, note that an Apple statement in the program is that all 4 indicators must be red to void the warranty, so the bottom line is that the warranty cannot be voided unless the case is opened and checked by Apple. If they do not do that and deny a claim then you have grounds for a complaint.

5. synagence macrumors 6502a

The key sentence is right at the very end...
    "The warranty would only be void if ALL indicators have been triggered"

So surely that means internal and external ...

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I think there are three altogether. It's only if all three sensors have been triggered, that a phone qualifies as water-damaged. Then you may choose to pay Apple's fee and get a replacement. But unless all three sensors have been triggered, standard warranty covers the phone.

At least that's how I believe the situation stands.

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

I think as with everything though ... if you're in that situation, polite but firm in your position ... no need to get angry and shouty but explain and stick your ground..

There are 4 total, headphone, dock and 2 internals (as per the video)