BBCi Player now dont work with 2.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shoney, Nov 23, 2008.

1. shoney macrumors newbie

shoney

After upgrading to 2.2 I cannot get the BBC iPlayer to play, keeps coming up with:-

'Sorry, programmes can only be accessed over wifi connection.'

Anyone else having problems????

2. M. Poirot macrumors member

Yeah, me too. Across on the BBC's iPlayer messageboard there are loads of similar posts. It looks like Apple broke something as the BBC didn't. Worked fine in 2.1 in the morning, updated to 2.2, can't watch in the afternoon. Best thing to do is file a feedback report to Apple.

3. lakeuk macrumors newbie

I think I've got to the bottom of the problem and I think it's at the beebs end and should be easy for them to sort out.

I've recreated the error in Firefox by spoofing the user agent details so iplayer thinks I'm using a ipod touch.

User Agent for FW 2.1.1 works:-

Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20

User Agent for FW 2.2 gives the error everyone is getting:-

Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20

Pictures available here:-
    http://tinyurl.com/5qwvxt

Should be a simple case of the beeb adding the above details to the list of allowed devices that can use iplayer mobile, hopefully they'll do this quickly tomorrow when they come in (I'd be worried if they don't)

4. zero.fx macrumors member

this problem was already posted by me and another member of the forum. I hope what is say is true so that there wont be long before we can get bbc iplayer working again. cant wait

5. zero.fx macrumors member

good news

BBC iplayer is now up and running again on the ipod touch 2g with 2.2 update please go check it out for yourself. Thanks bbc or apple to get this issue fixed in a relatively short time.