BBCode Making Text Lowercase

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by angelwatt, Jan 14, 2009.

1. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I noticed something weird when doing a post earlier. Some BBCode (or whatever the styling is called) was causing the text inside to become all lowercase. Anyone know if this is a "feature" of the syntax or something else happening? The examples below shows the same text except the first line doesn't end with a semicolon and the last example. The J and S should be uppercase in each case. As you can see when wrapping the text with bold or italics causes the text inside to become all lowercase. I haven't tried other tags though. The real funny thing is, it only seems to apply to the word JavaScript.

JavaScript
    JavaScript:
    JavaScript:
    JavaSc:

I see also that the resulting HTML created for the above looks like,
    HTML:
    <b>JavaScript</b><br>
    <b>javascript<b></b>:</b><br>
    <i>javascript<b></b>:</i><br>
    <b>JavaSc:</b><br>
    which is showing an extra bold tag right before the semicolon. That doesn't really shed much light on it though, for me at least.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I can confirm that this quirk exists. I entered each of the following lines with an initial uppercase J, but four of them come out in lowercase when the post is displayed. It's specific to the word JavaScript, since for security the forum system must prevent raw embedded JavaScript code in posts.

JavaScript
    JavaScript:
    JavaScript:
    JavaSc:

JavaScript
    JavaScript:
    JavaScript:
    JavaSc:

JabaTheHut
    JabaTheHut:
    JabaTheHut:
    JabaHut:

JabaTheHut
    JabaTheHut:
    JabaTheHut:
    JabaHut:

In general, the forum system makes a pass over your post text, interpreting tags and replacing strings to create the display version of your post. Sometimes transformations are applied where you don't expect it, and learning to avoid the quirks seems to be the only workaround. Luckily, they don't happen often, and they are almost always inconsequential.

One workaround in this case is to wrap
    PHP:
     tags around your text even if it's not PHP code, and put up with the color coding that results.

[php]JavaScript
    JavaScript:
    JavaScript:
    JavaSc:

3. angelwatt thread starter Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Thanks for the insight. After some thought I figured it would be something like that since I'm a web developer. It's probably catching when it's looking for embedded JavaScript in links, such as,
    HTML:
    <a href="Javascript:DoFunction()">Link with JavaScript action</a>
    The above has a capital J inside the href. It's a trivial thing. It just confused me when it happened in another thread. At first, when I created this thread, I didn't realize it only applied to the word JavaScript. Though, tried it in some post previews and noticed it then. So it's not a vBCode issue, it's tied to another security check script. I'll have to keep that in mind.