BBedit/Text editor users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Aug 16, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any BBedit users here?

I see they have version 10 out and was wondering if anyone has upgraded. They also changed the pricing model dropping the price down to 50 bucks with an introductory price of 40.

So far my favorite editor has been textmate but the author has not touched that app in years and with it seems to be abandonware at this point.

I use ultraedit on my pc at work, so i got that, but I can't put my finger on it, but its lacking

Any thoughts/suggestions on text editors and specifically bbedit.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I swear by TextWrangler, a free product by the same authors as BBEdit. I have never tried BBEdit before - I was dissuaded by the high price and the "old" way of doing things BBEdit used. Looks like the BBEdit folks addressed both my concerns with one version. :)

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They dropped the price of BBedit, They also seem to be a victim of the race to the bottom pricing that seems to occur with apple's app stores (Mac and iPhone/iPad)

4. blipmusic macrumors regular

So far Sublime Text 2 seems to be shaping up to become quite a nice successor to TextMate in spirit. Probably what I'll get whenever it's ready for release.

5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

It just keeps on working...

Hi,

I'm using TextMate, and still pretty happy with it. The last regular update was November of 2010; the current "bleeding edge" update is from March 2011.

Anyway, in my book, something that doesn't regularly updated because it simply keeps on working is a good thing!

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

i've used text wrangler and bbedit (10). i'm not a big fan of either. but, i haven't really found anything better. i feel like the ui is clunky and i have to click around a lot for some reason to get stuff done.

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I have BBEdit and Textmate and find I use Textmate more. BBEdit is great for search/replace, text transformations, and opening very large files (which Textmate chokes on)...but I prefer the clean interface of Textmate for actual text editing.

I wish one of them would support Lion's 'Versions' feature. Currently the only text editor that does, AFAIK, is Textedit.