BBM on iOS 7 is actually good.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by wilky76, Nov 1, 2013.

1. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

I'm quite impressed with BBM on iOS7, so much so I've starting using as my main messaging app, while I've managed to get a few other people I know on it aswell and they also equally impressed to.

Whatsapp need to get into gear and give us an update to iOS7 sharpish before i & probably alot of others decide to switch or stick to BBM permanently.

2. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

I wanted my friends to switch to BBM, but their minds are lost with Whatsapp. :(

I hate Whatsapp, the design of it is sickening.

3. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

No it is not...! It is a POS...! you cant even share videos or contacts or lovation or anything... Although Whatsapp's UI is crappy for iOS it is a much much better software... And you automatically know who from your phonebook uses whatsapp... So it is easier too... although I know many people who use BBM I just have 7 contacts on that app... lol...

4. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

That's the problem here. The real problem. Whatsapp currently has more features than BBM and it's much easier to add contacts through Whatsapp.

It's just urgh. The design of Whatsapp is repulsive and it's now even worse with iOS7. It's also much slower than BBM to send messages.

I asked several friends to get BBM, but nope. They see no reason to at the moment. Most of my friends have Android and Whatsapp is way superior on Android.

BBM must include more features because well...sending messages faster is the only advantage here.

5. wsc9005 macrumors regular

The only reason I use BBM right now is that I heard it is secure than Whatsapp.

6. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

The only thing is whatsapp is real ugly.. Not that bbm is beautiful... But atleast its not ugly...

7. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

using BBM is like 'nostalgia'.... something we used to do in old days....

I love it though.... I am sure BBM will soon catch up with Whatsapp and other popular chat apps.... No doubt at all...

8. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I like the BBM interface, especially the contacts pics screen.

Not sure whether it, or 7.0.3, is responsible for my poor battery life though.

9. seble macrumors 6502a

Agreed, it's not 'bad' its not great either. But whatsapp is made 'bad' by its hideous design, and slow and clunky interface. Also you try sending a message on GPRS and see how 'quick' that sends…

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

What's so horrible about WhatApp's design? I'm seeing so much hate for it but it's really not so bad.

Is it just a lack of being updated for iOS 7? Because I don't personally consider that "bad".

11. Silverrune macrumors regular

I never wanted anything to do with BBM, or what's app. If I want to talk to someone I will text them or message them on Facebook, or tweet them. Nobody cares anymore about a Black Berry product.

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's not that bad but it's not that great. It's not very fluid, every thing has a slight hiccup to load chat groups, etc. If I was running whatsapp and BBM was coming out I would be putting my foot on the gas and making sure everyone said "whatsapp is the best chat app out there". Instead.. nothing.

After using BBM for a while now, I'm starting to dislike it after being head over heels with it when it launched. It crashes more than I would like and some of the navigation isn't intuitive to me. I feel like if I could work with the team for a month I could turn this into a stellar app and jack up the user experience.

13. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

People still use texting?

FWIW, I've found that Line is the best chat app out there.

14. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Too many apps though.WhatsApp,BBM,KiK etc iMessage or SMS texting is enough for me until we can put all of these messaging services into a centralized app i.e.:messages app

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

BBM isn't really designed well. For example, when chatting with someone the chat window is so small because of the contact banner on top, the huge border around the "enter message" field, and the poorly implemented option bar between that and the keyboard.

Also there seem to be no notification options, especially for groups. I'd like to be notified when an individual messages me but when a few people in a group are having a conversation then I'm constantly getting notifications and it drains battery. I've had to turn off notification sounds/vibrates for the app just because of this.

Apart from this, there are redundant options and some lag. I was pretty surprised that app wasn't polished considering how long it took to develop.

Will be interesting to see how they implement ads into it too.

16. Altis macrumors 68000

I just don't see the point.

I don't really see the point in iMessage either, other than I can use it on wifi only while travelling, and those with iPod touch or iPad.

I just use text/iMessage for most communication, and Facebook for those I can't.

17. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

for me feature wise BBM is just an outdated version of whatsapp. and design wise its good. i hope to see the whatsapp update soon.

18. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Very useful for me....i dont have a great mobile signal in the house at home but with most folk in family and friends having iPhones i get everything through on iMessage as i'm connected to Wifi at home on both my iPhone and iPad.

Also my phone contract charges me for sending MMS but sending them on iMessage is free plus you have the useful feature of group chats when users you send to are on iPhones making arranging things nice and easy.

19. Altis macrumors 68000

I forgot some have text charges still. I used iMessage a bunch while travelling. I just can't see getting BBM to solve anything, especially since not that many people with blackberries still use it all too much.

20. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Agree with you re BBM...i've signed up on the off chance i will need it but to be honest i'm not sure i actually know anyone that has a blackberry these days other than my other half having one for work but she has an iPhone for every day use.

I get a shed load of free texts a month which with iMessage i get nowhere near using but they dont give me any MMS free. Not a massive issue as i dont send many and they are only 25p if i do but its nice to be able to send them on iMessage for nowt.

21. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

One advantage to getting BBM is having a lot more conversations with my blackberry-obsessed friend. Yeah I know it's stubborn of him to like BBM so much he doesn't chat as much if he doesn't use it, but he's a good friend and I enjoy the additional communication.

He's a total Blackberry die-hard, and I think he will be until the end. I've never seen that level of platform loyalty, even from my fellow Apple-using friends. It's pretty wild. :)

22. Raris macrumors member

Wait I am confuzzled, why not just use imessage?

23. vcao macrumors regular

I fail to see a compelling reason to use BBM. Aside from the whole "wait add me on BBM, oh wait let me figure out my PIN first", Facebook Messenger does everything you'd need from a messaging app and you already have your entire social world at your fingertips without an added contact extension - if you use FB that is. :confused:

24. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

If your communicating with someone who doesn't use an iDevice.

25. aldoF macrumors regular

...no iDevice? then they get a text.

The only reason I can think of for anyone to want to use BBM is the ability to give out a PIN rather than your phone number, but since I have no reason to keep my # from anyone I see no use for it.

I've fiddled with Viber and seems cool but again, iMessage does everything I need already.