BCT file download? With no choice. WTF

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3v0, Dec 23, 2010.

1. 3v0 macrumors member

I was online today and randomly a file downloads called BCT. It was a text document and it was blank. What is this? Is it harmful at all. I couldnt find anything about it rly other than it has happen to a few mac owners when on ebay.
    I'm slightly freaked out. Can this be bad or possibly steal personal info?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you entered your password to open the file? If not, then there is no need to be worried.

3. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! thats a really helpful link.

So any ideas why that would randomly download like that though? From what I read it happens to some ppl more multiple times.

4. oxymoxus macrumors newbie

This started happening to me about 20 minutes ago, it's already downloaded 4 files. I never put in my admin password for anything. I don't even remember the last time I needed it. I looked at that link too, I also never clicked on a video link on facebook.

How do I stop these random downloads? You can say they're harmless all you want, it's still worrying. I just want it to stop. I disabled java on safari and that didn't do anything either.

5. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Just wanted to add that I've also had this bct download. Unclear which website it came from, though I did have eBay open, I believe. I deleted it immediately after checking Get Info on it, which said it came from p dot brilig dot com (not wanting to put a live link in case it's malicious. It *appears* to be ad-related. However, I'm not taking the chance since it's emerged only in the last week and also one report claims it may be connected to either a keystroke logger or some kind of Safari saved passwords issue. Not sure how to fight against the former, but I'm not using Safari for the time being until this is figured out ....

6. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

Wow rly! I'd sure hope not. I wish ppl have more info on this. So is it smarter not to use safari or would that not make a difference?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting your browser and emptying your cache and cookies. BCT may be game-related. Have any of you been playing BCT Commander?

8. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

Nope. I play zero games on my computer.

Its only happened once to me but still freaked me out. I'd like to just know more about it and exactly what it is.

btw, I frequently delete my cache and cookies but everytime I log back onto my mac my cookies are back. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the help btw!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's normal for you to have cookies when you visit websites. They're not a problem.

You can also use an ad-blocker to prevent content from certain sites from appearing. Also, turn off Java in your browser. Read the last part of the Malware link I posted.

10. xrey, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

xrey macrumors newbie

BCT Download

I got this BCT download thing. Checked the file and it was locked. Asks for password to unlock, so I didn't. Info says, it's from http://p.brilig.com/_____(the longest tag I have ever seen on a website) Went to the site and this is what came out:

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

Does this mean it has an app that runs on the background? Not to sound paranoid, but two weeks ago I had my ATM/Debit card number stolen, I don't know how, but I use it to order stuff online. I use Safari as my browser and only order from sites I trust and have used before. I know creidit card numbers can be stolen in many ways and databases have been compromised before, but this has happened to me before. This time the number was used to open another Paypal account in London, UK and charged several payments in Arizona and England. Paypal was notified and they reversed all charges including fees. Bank investigations didn't say anything as to who and how it happened. I won't know how they got my ATM account number but now I take out cash before I buy anything. Credit Cards aren't as safe. I'm starting to use Google Chrome more and Pop-Ups aren't as prevalent as Safari's(Pop-Ups blocked).

11. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

Any more info? So is it something to worry about or not?
    Some ppl say its a glitch and other are reporting privacy problems and things coming from the file.

Any ways to know if ur computer is safe/clean?