Be aware; flash update!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pwhitehead, Apr 17, 2012.

1. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

Just got a flash update warning popup while i was using firefox a little bit ago. This was the exact same flash update that i denied 3 weeks ago and then 60,000 macs got infected. Do your research for now on before accepting any flash installer update.

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yeah I have seen that too actually thought it was a genuine update, but was too lazy to install it.

3. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean the Flashback trojan, which infected Macs via a vulnerability in Java and not a false Flash installer?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

By denying the Flash update you're putting yourself at greater risk in a security breach. Adobe did release an update within the past 48 hours. Maybe you just now went to a site that uses Flash or it just now checked for an update.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The latest version of Adobe Flash Player can always be obtained from:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

If you're ever not sure about a prompt, just go download it from there.

The newest version includes a "silent" updater, that should install smaller security updates without prompting. Larger updates that add or change features/functionality will still prompt the user.

The same goes for any sort of update (including Java). If you don't trust the updater, go direct to the source.

6. pwhitehead thread starter macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

Thank you. Not trusting anymore automatic flash updates until i see it announced from adobe first.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As a general rule, I never download an update by way of pop up. In fact I generally don't update flash unless there's specific security updates that I want to ensure I have.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I got an official looking Adobe Flash update notice and dismissed it. I went to Adobe.com to verify it's legitimacy, but still didn't download it. While I was there (Adobe.com) I did update my Acrobat Reader, though.

Dale

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It seems odd that you care enough to check whether or not an update is genuine (despite the chances of that being slim), but you're happy to leave unpatched software on your computer (with a much higher chance of something bad happening).

That doesn't begin to mention the other improvements recent Flash Player versions have brought.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

FF asked me to disable that patch, when I booted-up this morning.

So I did, and restarted. :)

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I decided to not install a Flash update because I don't use Flash at all. I didn't think that unpatched software is a problem if you don't use it.

Dale