Be aware! iPhone 4 comes with factory scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steamtoy, Jul 16, 2010.

1. steamtoy macrumors regular

I got my iphone 4 in the morning. Few hours later I noticed there is a tiny scratch on the back. It seems to be caused by something very sharp. All I can recall is that I just put it in my pocket for 20 minutes with my keys but none of those keys are sharp enough to make scratch like that. I'm 90% sure that this scratch comes from factory producing. I didn't check it carefully when opening up the box because I never thought this things could happen. Is there anyone who also found a scratch and believes it comes from factory?

2. jp700p macrumors regular

Mine did too. In the back upper left. You can barely see it. To see it, I had to shine and angle a light at it.

3. Kevio macrumors regular

It was the keys. 100% sure.

4. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

5. UCF Sam macrumors regular

Your keys are defiantly able to scratch the phone, thats most likely where the scratch came from. The backup scratches very easy, many people have reported scratches from empty pockets and normal use.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

If you have to go to that extreme to see a scratch AND you're upset about it - seek help. Otherwise - just enjoy the phone

7. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

8. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Mine had factory scratches on the front next to the home button. There were two scratches shaped perfectly like the letter N parallel to each other. However, keys, pocket, and iPhone don't mix.

10. Surrix macrumors regular

You can't be that nitpicky about scratches while keeping your phone in your pocket with keys.

I'm anal about scratches too, but I would never even consider putting even my old original iPhone in a pocket with keys, let alone a brand new iP4.

11. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Seriously? You put your glass phone in your pocket with your keys and you think it came out of the factory scratched? Good effort.

12. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Come on man...You are better than that.

13. steamtoy thread starter macrumors regular

OK. I've put it in same pocket with same keys for hours and I have been walking home for 30 minutes. No more scratches so far, just that tiny one! Now I'm 99% sure it is a factory scratch.

I don't know if I can take it back to att store and change for a new one, but if I have to wait another 2 weeks I'd rather live with it.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You're that concerned about scratches and yet you continue to walk around with it and keys in your pocket?! Are you mental?

15. nateharr macrumors 6502

I find this to be a serious contradiction. Either that or you're very, very anal.

16. Surrix macrumors regular

17. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

sooo... your title said it came with a factory scratch then you said you put it in your pocket with your keys......

18. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

19. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Some of these posters are just so amazing!

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Sickening how I can't read a single thread without seeing this nonsense.

OP, don't you have another pocket? One with maybe a wallet or something that's not jagged metal?

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Seriously people, why are you wasting your keyboard clicks responding to some 20 year old sitting in his dorm with his WoW buddies concocting the most plainly baited story all week? This is dumber than the most painfully bad SNL skit.

22. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I have a smilar story: I received my new iPhone 4 two days ago. Been handling it with extra care and caution. But today I noticed both front and back are scratched up badly. Even the metal band has deep scuffs and scratches and even dented where the USB port is. I'm totally puzzled as to how it happened. I think this is a factory damage. Yeah, definitely factory damage as I've done nothing to the phone except for putting it inside my bag (only once) with keys, nails, needles, screws, razors, scissors, a hammer and a mini-drill. But only once. That could not have done such a damage to my phone. No way! Hmm, what else could have happened? Yeah, definitely factory damage.

23. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Not trying to say you guys are at fault, but...
    Why can't anyone just be self accountable? It's always somebody else to blame. Keys can in fact scratch the glass, it's not that hard either. I would suggest for this to be a factual thread, that you at least could have taken a better look at the phone upon receiving it and then made your interpretation from there. Because if you noticed it at the store, you could have told them, and exchanged the phone.

24. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Ok well I'd like to say it isn't your fault, but sorry I just can't.

You had keys in your pocket, that CAN scratch your phone, even if the scratch doesn't look like it can.

I always have my phone in my pocket with nothing else in there and I have a very small scratch.

It can scratch just from your pocket.

25. hipvamore macrumors regular

i'm sick of reading these peoples s***. go home