Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
I got my iphone 4 in the morning. Few hours later I noticed there is a tiny scratch on the back. It seems to be caused by something very sharp. All I can recall is that I just put it in my pocket for 20 minutes with my keys but none of those keys are sharp enough to make scratch like that. I'm 90% sure that this scratch comes from factory producing. I didn't check it carefully when opening up the box because I never thought this things could happen. Is there anyone who also found a scratch and believes it comes from factory?

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I got my iphone 4 in the morning. Few hours later I noticed there is a tiny scratch on the back. It seems to be caused by something very sharp. All I can recall is that I just put it in my pocket for 20 minutes with my keys but none of those keys are sharp enough to make scratch like that. I'm 90% sure that this scratch comes from factory producing. I didn't check it carefully when opening up the box because I never thought this things could happen. Is there anyone who also found a scratch and believes it comes from factory?

Mine did too. In the back upper left. You can barely see it. To see it, I had to shine and angle a light at it.

Kevio

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010

It was the keys. 100% sure.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010

Your keys are defiantly able to scratch the phone, thats most likely where the scratch came from. The backup scratches very easy, many people have reported scratches from empty pockets and normal use.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Mine did too. In the back upper left. You can barely see it. To see it, I had to shine and angle a light at it.

If you have to go to that extreme to see a scratch AND you're upset about it - seek help. Otherwise - just enjoy the phone

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Mine had factory scratches on the front next to the home button. There were two scratches shaped perfectly like the letter N parallel to each other. However, keys, pocket, and iPhone don't mix.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
You can't be that nitpicky about scratches while keeping your phone in your pocket with keys.

I'm anal about scratches too, but I would never even consider putting even my old original iPhone in a pocket with keys, let alone a brand new iP4.

iUser4Lyfe

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009

Come on man...You are better than that.

steamtoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
Seriously? You put your glass phone in your pocket with your keys and you think it came out of the factory scratched? Good effort.

OK. I've put it in same pocket with same keys for hours and I have been walking home for 30 minutes. No more scratches so far, just that tiny one! Now I'm 99% sure it is a factory scratch.

I don't know if I can take it back to att store and change for a new one, but if I have to wait another 2 weeks I'd rather live with it.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
OK. I've put it in same pocket with same keys for hours and I have been walking home for 30 minutes. No more scratches so far, just that tiny one! Now I'm 99% sure it is a factory scratch.

I don't know if I can take it back to att store and change for a new one, but if I have to wait another 2 weeks I'd rather live with it.

I find this to be a serious contradiction. Either that or you're very, very anal.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
sooo... your title said it came with a factory scratch then you said you put it in your pocket with your keys......

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Some of these posters are just so amazing!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Seriously people, why are you wasting your keyboard clicks responding to some 20 year old sitting in his dorm with his WoW buddies concocting the most plainly baited story all week? This is dumber than the most painfully bad SNL skit.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I have a smilar story: I received my new iPhone 4 two days ago. Been handling it with extra care and caution. But today I noticed both front and back are scratched up badly. Even the metal band has deep scuffs and scratches and even dented where the USB port is. I'm totally puzzled as to how it happened. I think this is a factory damage. Yeah, definitely factory damage as I've done nothing to the phone except for putting it inside my bag (only once) with keys, nails, needles, screws, razors, scissors, a hammer and a mini-drill. But only once. That could not have done such a damage to my phone. No way! Hmm, what else could have happened? Yeah, definitely factory damage.

Robby C

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Atlanta
Not trying to say you guys are at fault, but...
Why can't anyone just be self accountable? It's always somebody else to blame. Keys can in fact scratch the glass, it's not that hard either. I would suggest for this to be a factual thread, that you at least could have taken a better look at the phone upon receiving it and then made your interpretation from there. Because if you noticed it at the store, you could have told them, and exchanged the phone.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Ok well I'd like to say it isn't your fault, but sorry I just can't.

You had keys in your pocket, that CAN scratch your phone, even if the scratch doesn't look like it can.

I always have my phone in my pocket with nothing else in there and I have a very small scratch.

It can scratch just from your pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.